P***k in a Mini and other w***ers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been riding fairly regularly with my next door neighbour at weekends. Today we were on a route which took us out to Henley on Thames. On the way back along the Reading road between the Flowing Spring pub and the roundabout at Sonning Eye I looked down to give a cursory check to see what gear I was in only to get an eyeful of the front wing of a bronze coloured mini half wheeling me with about 6 inches to spare between us. He was seriously close to my back wheel. I suppose we were kicking along at somwhere around 20 kph. The driver then finally gave me a bit of room and drew along side gesticulating. I noticed that he was even more ridiculously dressed than I was in judo gear so he couldn't have taken offence at me in lycra. I was neither particularly far out from the verge or doing anything other than going in a straight line, so had no idea what his problem was. As he got alongside he started mouthing off. I have to admit I usually give as good as I get if safe to do so, so I gave him a mouthful back and a one finger salute. He decided to carry on his rant crossing into the lane coming the other way to pass me not seeing the Transit coming the other way. Cue very near miss horns etc.
A mile or so further on and we were at Sonnning Bridge. The lights were on red. We slowed down towards the rear of the queue of traffic waiting for the lights to change. A black BMW 5 Series started honking his horn at us. We were both in the primary position approaching this stop. He couldn't go anywhere as the lights were on red. We couldn't go anywhere, but he continued aggresively on the horn trying to bully us to get out of the way. For those who know the area you will know that once over the bridge there is sharp left followed by a shortish hill so I can only assume he wanted not to get caught behind us once over the bridge. As it was we went over and up the hill keeping pace with the line of traffic before turning off through Sonning Village. Been doing a lot of riding in the last 18 months without incident so having two in such a short time frame was galling to say the least.

G-Zero

Über Member
Guess you got censored - Title was much more impactive when I read it a moment ago, without the asterisks.

As much as I dislike the BMW driver rhetoric, they do keep popping up in similar critical posts, and the Mini is in the BMW fold.

My guess would be that if you'd only done a few more miles, the next incident would have involved an Audi driver :boxing:

Peteaud

Veteran
Guess you got censored - Title was much more impactive when I read it a moment ago, without the asterisks.

As much as I dislike the BMW driver rhetoric, they do keep popping up in similar critical posts, and the Mini is in the BMW fold.

My guess would be that if you'd only done a few more miles, the next incident would have involved an Audi driver :boxing:

The original title was a bit ott imho

Audi drivers - worst of the lot:evil:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I have to admit I usually give as good as I get if safe to do so, so I gave him a mouthful back and a one finger salute.

I am one the large side, people come up to me, call mr fat and then rub my tummy; most of the time l laugh it off but if l am not in a good mood, i have a few words with them. Now were you being brave or foolish with the one-fingered salute? Please continue to give motorists the one-fingered salute but do not post on here if you get assaulted after greeting someone with a one-fingered salute!

Dan_h

I've been riding fairly regularly with my next door neighbour at weekends. Today we were on a route which took us out to Henley on Thames. On the way back along the Reading road between the Flowing Spring pub and the roundabout at Sonning Eye I looked down to give a cursory check to see what gear I was in only to get an eyeful of the front wing of a bronze coloured mini half wheeling me with about 6 inches to spare between us. He was seriously close to my back wheel. I suppose we were kicking along at somwhere around 20 kph. The driver then finally gave me a bit of room and drew along side gesticulating. I noticed that he was even more ridiculously dressed than I was in judo gear so he couldn't have taken offence at me in lycra. I was neither particularly far out from the verge or doing anything other than going in a straight line, so had no idea what his problem was. As he got alongside he started mouthing off. I have to admit I usually give as good as I get if safe to do so, so I gave him a mouthful back and a one finger salute. He decided to carry on his rant crossing into the lane coming the other way to pass me not seeing the Transit coming the other way. Cue very near miss horns etc.
A mile or so further on and we were at Sonnning Bridge. The lights were on red. We slowed down towards the rear of the queue of traffic waiting for the lights to change. A black BMW 5 Series started honking his horn at us. We were both in the primary position approaching this stop. He couldn't go anywhere as the lights were on red. We couldn't go anywhere, but he continued aggresively on the horn trying to bully us to get out of the way. For those who know the area you will know that once over the bridge there is sharp left followed by a shortish hill so I can only assume he wanted not to get caught behind us once over the bridge. As it was we went over and up the hill keeping pace with the line of traffic before turning off through Sonning Village. Been doing a lot of riding in the last 18 months without incident so having two in such a short time frame was galling to say the least.

I ride through there most days on my way to work (I live in Caversham) and it is a pain. The road is not wide enough for people to pass safely which often leaves you in primary for about a mile! I have had a few run-ins with drivers there. The road onto the bridge also goes into one lane and on Friday there was a driver along side me trying to force their way between me and the car in front... traffic was doing about 10mph at this point. Some people are just unbelieveably impatient!

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
i think you're filling the asterisks in in a way all of your own

Say what? How do you wokr out "German" from "P***k" I dont know...

Mini = BMW = German = The discussion up from your post.

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
I am one the large side, people come up to me, call mr fat and then rub my tummy; most of the time l laugh it off but if l am not in a good mood, i have a few words with them. Now were you being brave or foolish with the one-fingered salute? Please continue to give motorists the one-fingered salute but do not post on here if you get assaulted after greeting someone with a one-fingered salute!

No, please DO post if you get assaulted for meeting aggression with rudeness. Aggression begets aggression and leaves all parties worse off and it would help people on here t0 learn from your mistaeks.

Perhaps a shrug of the shoulders and a "What's wrong?" may have produced the opportunity to discuss the issue and all parties would have been better off.
While this may not always produce the desired results (it certainly didn't work for magnatom -

View: http://youtu.be/BQdijWFAIns

) there may be circumstances where it will work. Even if it doesn't work you will have the satisfaction of knowing that at least you didn't respond like a complete jerk.
But not trying to be reasonable is guaranteed to leave all parties feeling sour.

As a BMW driver I'd like to confirm that many of my fellow BMW drivers can act like complete arses. Audis are taking over this attitude, but for an incredible bad attitude nothing compares in my opinion to a large white van or a particularly ratty looking Vauxhall Astra.

400bhp

Guru
What was the mini driver saying and what did you say back?

Were you 2 abreast at the time or single file?

Bicycle

What was the mini driver saying and what did you say back?

Were you 2 abreast at the time or single file?

If your last post were a car, it would be a track-prepared e30 3 Series BMW.

For that reason (and in line with Rule 7, Paragraph 7, Section vii) I would advise the OP not to answer your question.

Having said that, it would be fun to know...

However, there might be a slightly altered post-event memory, like when that Eagles fan who was drop-kicked by Cantona was adamant he's only said "It's an early bath for you, Cantona!"

I've been to gazillions of footie matches and never heard anything said that politely... but I digress.

Again.

Top Bottom