Padded Shorts etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

The Defy 1 had a 40 mile maiden voyage on Saturday. A thorough enjoyable experience on the whole. However, after years of riding a MTB with a seat like a small sofa, the soreness of my behind at the end of the ride was a bit of a shock to the system. The A48 between Bridgend and Cardiff is rather rough! I guess it isn't the "done thing" to attach a sofa style seat to a road bike so I am going to buy some padded / gel shorts.

Looking around, there are so many options. I don't really want to spend a fortune. I have always bought Muddyfox stuff (strides and tops) until now and they've been fine. They do a range of padded shorts that get ok reviews.

Any advice would be handy.

Mike

If they get ok reviews, try a pair.
Might be worth investing in a tube of chamois cream for a tenner, to use until your butt gets used to the new riding position too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Check the saddle is level and in the right position

You get what you pay for in terms of padded shorts. Look at dhb from wiggle and the higher stuff from decathlon

I once tried some muddy fox shorts on just as a tester to go underneath when trying some unpadded tights. Frankly, the pad was utter crap compared to my usual brands (mid to higher end bought on sale) but ymmv!

Buy cheap, buy twice imo

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh and how pumped use were the tyres? If up at 120 letting some air out might soften the ride, although not so much as to get pinch punctures!

OP
OP
mikeloveshisrockhopper

mikeloveshisrockhopper

Thanks for the advice folks. The tyres are at about 90psi. At the end of the ride, I did feel my seat may have been too low so I have raised it a bit. I'll see how that feels on my next run out. As for the shorts, Sports Direct are doing an on-line deal on the padded shorts (£8). I'm going to take a punt on a pair I think.

A padded sofa style seat on a road bike though! I can't bring myself to do it but once my new roadie pride has worn off, I may give in to it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
dhb aerons work for me.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Wiggle's own brand (DHB) is spot on, as is the mid range and up clothing from Decathlon (500 series and above). Also keep an eye out for sales as you can get some real bargains.

I started off with Muddy Fox, but haven't bought anything from them since discovering the other two brands. Plus Wiggle give you free Haribo...;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A padded sofa style seat on a road bike though! I can't bring myself to do it but once my new roadie pride has worn off, I may give in to it.
That sounds like being a fashion victim a bit too literally but the choice is you pad the saddle once or you pad your pants every time. IMO a Brooks Flyer is both comfortable and beautiful ;-)

Top Bottom