Padded Shorts etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
For road biking padded bibshorts are best or bib tights if very cold. The difference on a road bike is you are stuck in the same position most of the time which means bike setup matters more. Have a read on KOPS and measuring your sit bones as you saddle may be the wrong width.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The difference on a road bike is you are stuck in the same position most of the time which means bike setup matters more.
If that were true, people wouldn't keep recommending road bikes as having more poitions than a typical hybrid.

Kajjal

Guru
If that were true, people wouldn't keep recommending road bikes as having more poitions than a typical hybrid.
That's hand positions, in terms of the saddle you are very fixed compared to mountain biking where you rapidly shift weigh alot as well as riding out of the saddle as well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's hand positions, in terms of the saddle you are very fixed compared to mountain biking where you rapidly shift weigh alot as well as riding out of the saddle as well.
Firstly, moving your hands moves your body moves your saddle weight around (the three points - hands, feet and bum-psadasies - move in concert). Secondly, on a road bike the pressure usually shifts around more as you pedal because more weight is borne by the legs than on a MTB or hybrid:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR85e-Eu1hk

gavgav

Guru
You get what you pay for. I've tried cheaper ones and they were actually worse than just wearing boxers! Altura gel for me are the only ones I trust. Oh and don't wear any boxers/briefs with them as they chafe badly!

IBarrett

Über Member
I've just binned a pair of brand new Boardman padded shorts because the pad was far too small. The old chap was mightily unimpressed with them and let me know about if for at least 24 hours after a 20 mile ride in them. The new Endura replacements are much better. search for Endura clickfast 8 panel.

Drago

Legendary Member
Put whatever saddle you want on your Defy, and stuff the self appointed road fashionista. They'll also scoff at peaks on helmets, but when it's lashing with rain or the oncoming car fails to dip their light you'll be glad you had it. Some of them are so far disconnected from reality it's unreal. In any case, a lot of modern mtb bum perches are quite svelte and could pass fora road saddle of less than a decade ago.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As a world expert on sore a****s (I went thro months of agony) I feel able to contribute to this.
You don't specify were/how you are sore e.g. sit bones / pedundal nerve (runs approx. from your scrotum to your bum) or chafing/soreness from rubbing.
Age IMO is also a factor as the older you get the less flexible your bones/sinews/muscles become.
If its the sit bones or the pedundal nerve...............
a) get a "bike fit" or do it your self if confident.
b) go to a decent bike shop that is able to measure you for the correct saddle..............mine turned out to be a Fizik Aliante.
c) decent shorts.............mine are Endura Pro.
I could only manage 35 miles then needed a weeks rest before getting on the bike again. After the above I immediately did a 68 miler followed 2 days later by a 24 miler...........WITH NO PAIN :smile: .It is the difference between enduring & enjoying a bike ride............worth every penny you can afford.
Good luck with it.

Nibor

Bewildered
The ones I posted are top quality I was very surprised considering they are 15 quid I assure you the pads are second to none.

Top Bottom