Painfully bright Chinese lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Are you talking off road, little used mountain path or well used shared footpath/cycleway like the Clyne Valley path?
If its the former then fair enough.

Ah well at least there not ninja's

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Are you talking off road, little used mountain path or well used shared footpath/cycleway like the Clyne Valley path?
If its the former then fair enough.

It's a (section of ) national cycle route 464. I will dip the lights once I see someone in front of me, but I have no choice (most of the time) than to keep them on at full, as it's not only littered with dog mess, but dog owners with loose dogs - neither of which have any high viz or common sense to speak of.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I can spot a walker a dog or a pile of poo quite well with an izone 600 on half power without burning anyones eyeballs.

I do understand your frustration at the idiotic ones wobbling all over the path though.

Threevok

I can spot a walker a dog or a pile of poo quite well with an izone 600 on half power without burning anyones eyeballs.

Very difficult here. the entire route is virtually a tunnel of trees, and the path is pretty much covered in leaves - so much so that it's hard to see the edges of that path - let alone the poo on it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would think that there are a lot of riders who fasten the lights on their bikes and never walk to the front or back to see what they look like to other road users.

Threevok

If a man crashes his mountain bike into a tree because he didn't see it, does his swearing make any noise?

If he has a cheap camera instead of a GoPro probably not :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The thing is, 600-900 lumens is plenty bright for riding on darkened lanes. I know. I ride very early in the morning, typically going out at 4:30am and so in winter ride in darkness every day. There is no valid reason, unless you are in a 24-hour MBT race in rough country, for these lights with thousands of lumens. It’s nuts. And dangerous to other riders/drivers.
I disagree to an extent. 900 may be enough at the speeds you and I ride at with a decent focussed lens. For others, riding very much faster perhaps, with unfocussed lights not intended for road use, lumen escalation is easiest answer.

Top Bottom