Painfully bright Chinese lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
yes.

Tangoup51

Why must people use front lights which you could spot from the I.S.S. on their bikes? If they must, shouldn't there be a law that says that a bicycle front light, must be adjusted, for beam angle, as is required for motor vehicles?

Honestly, those types of lights - (with the battery packs and wide spread beams) are absolutely spot-on for those tight hard trails that aren't populated by dog walkers or joggers.

However, too many people buy these excessively powerful lights to use on the road - or, more commonly, for tow paths.

When People buy these chinese lights; they understand how powerful it is - and, they often (if not always) take into consideration how this may effect other road users.

Sadly, alot of those overly powered lights aren't designed to be positioned downward to reflect the light out the way. - (alot of those lights don't have good "reach" on their beams, just spread; meaning their ability to angle their lights is further impeded.)

- Pointing them "downward" from your angle in the cockpit (while still maintaining visibility ahead) does not save our eyes. - This is where most people get it wrong, for alot of those lights they will only be comfortable to view if

A) they are pointed so far down that it would be impossible to see the glass lens of the light

B) they are turned down to the lowest setting possible.

There are exceptions in many cases, but this is the most common I find to Why people leave them blindingly bright while acknowledging your presence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
[QUOTE 4983573, member: 9609"]do you know what make they are and do they come in red.

Seriously - I would quite like something that would stand out on a summers day that I could switch on when going under the shade of trees - need something to grab the attention of a motorist wearing sunglasses that has just come out of bright sunshine.[/QUOTE]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...bike+light&dpPl=1&dpID=51UE-siGS4L&ref=plSrch

Drago

Legendary Member
Strange. This annual thread doesn't normally appear until the 6th October.

Standard replies:

Point them at the ground.

Put a strip of tape over the upper quadrant.

Spend £2 on a decent lens.

People with expensive lights also aim them inappropriately, and being expensive and from Yorkshire (albeit via Taiwan) doesn't make it any less painful.

What about the car drivers who don't dip/have badly aimed headlamps?

I think that covers all the bases.

hoopdriver

Guru
The thing is, 600-900 lumens is plenty bright for riding on darkened lanes. I know. I ride very early in the morning, typically going out at 4:30am and so in winter ride in darkness every day. There is no valid reason, unless you are in a 24-hour MBT race in rough country, for these lights with thousands of lumens. It’s nuts. And dangerous to other riders/drivers.

hoopdriver

Guru
Why the casual assumption that the lights are Chinese? Or are European/US made lights somehow magically made, so that they’re always ‘just right’ and aimed correctly?
A great percentage of them are in fact Chinese, and cheaply made - hence their popularity - but you are correct that the point of origin shouldn't be an issue. Lupine, a German manufacturer, make a light with 5000 lumens which is the brightest most blinding bike light I know of.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
. Lupine, a German manufacturer, make a light with 5000 lumens which is the brightest most blinding bike light I know of.

An arms race?
I've got a 600 which is plenty enough for pitch black night riding, on or off road. And that stays on 'low' most of the time.

Apart from anything else, 5000 lumens would eat batteries.

Top Bottom