Painfully bright Chinese lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's also the reason I never run a flashing light on the front, nothing screams cyclist louder than a flashing front light.

I'm with you there, except when filtering in poor conditions when I use it to catch the eye of stationary drivers as I move forward.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm with you there, except when filtering in poor conditions when I use it to catch the eye of stationary drivers as I move forward.
I had a little think about my comment and not wanting to advertise I'm a cyclist is not the only reason I don't run a flashing front light. I quite often use a shared use path which is well away from roads and through little woods and across fields etc, it's pitch black in the winter and it's also usually deserted but I do occasionally see other cyclists and it's not unusual for them to have their front lights flashing, how do they see anything? It must be so damn annoying, it's makes less than no sense to me.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have a front flasher (Gnog) on the front, between the two normal lights.

I did have it to one side of the bar, but motorists seemed to perceive it as an indicator, sometimes with near dire consequences

glasgowcyclist

I had a little think about my comment and not wanting to advertise I'm a cyclist is not the only reason I don't run a flashing front light. I quite often use a shared use path which is well away from roads and through little woods and across fields etc, it's pitch black in the winter and it's also usually deserted but I do occasionally see other cyclists and it's not unusual for them to have their front lights flashing, how do they see anything? It must be so damn annoying, it's makes less than no sense to me.

I use mine only briefly, once I'm no longer filtering I switch it off. (It's one of the small COB lights from Aldi.)
There's a couple of riders on my commute who use dazzling, fast strobes pointed level which totally screw up my vision and I had one draft me for a bit until I told him to get lost as his pulsing light was messing up my vision. How people can ride with these I'll never know.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Walking home last night I was passed by a cyclist who had a rear facing white light at the end of his handlebars.
Anyone else seen this?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not white, no. I've seen Red (and even yellow/orange) on road bikes
New one on Tuesday was someone riding towards us up route 1 with a red/white alternating light on the front of their hybrid. Who is selling these things and do they have any legitimate use besides battery-powered Christmas tree lights?!?

Edited to add: another new one was a white steady light strapped to the rider's arm and a red steady light on their backpack. Both with diffuse lenses so the bad aim didn't actually matter but still :rolleyes:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
New one on Tuesday was someone riding towards us up route 1 with a red/white alternating light on the front of their hybrid. Who is selling these things and do they have any legitimate use besides battery-powered Christmas tree lights?!?

Edited to add: another new one was a white steady light strapped to the rider's arm and a red steady light on their backpack. Both with diffuse lenses so the bad aim didn't actually matter but still :rolleyes:

This perhaps ?

https://www.nightprovision.com/products/hyperactive-2-color-led-bike-light-duo-120-red-white-strobe

glasgowcyclist

Walking home last night I was passed by a cyclist who had a rear facing white light at the end of his handlebars.
Anyone else seen this?

Not since last winter when I saw two separate riders with white lights on the seatpost.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Smaller than that (maybe topeak redlite size), plus it was flipping 50% white and 50% red equal-time with no noticeable off time between.

I like the DUO-120's maker advertising "Rapid Alternating Of Colors From RED To WHITE Will Alert Every Driver Of Your Presence" - well yes, they'll be going WTF and I hope red/white mode would alert and attract the police too. :evil:

Top Bottom