Painfully bright Chinese lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point

Mine arrived and there is no way it is 5200 Lumens.

the compliance team in work will get it to play with and give me a figure within a week I hope.

after that its the light for riding through Victoria park at 5am

huwsparky

Über Member
I have a moon xp1500 which is 1500 lumen (advertised). A mate of mine bought a 4800 lumen (advertised) Chinese jobbie. We came to the conclusion that the claimed 4800 lumen Chinese affair was roughly the same as mine on the 1000 lumen setting on max. I'd take the claims with a pinch of salt.

freiston

Veteran
The following is with regards to road use.
I've used a supposedly bike-specific Fenix front light (iirc, rated at 750 lumens) which in my experience was a poor front light.

Even when I fitted a long visor to it, I couldn't point it forward enough to give good navigational light without dazzling oncoming traffic (and I do test my lights for this at standing and sitting eye-levels).
Pointed down enough and the light lit up the immediate road so brightly that it was bright enough to reduce my 'night-vision' when looking elsewhere (including dead ahead) to something similar to what it is like when first going from indoors (with the light on).
If I turned the brightness down then I might as well have used a low-powered headlamp more for being seen by.
I've seen the lights discussed here and on no account would I consider them to be any better than the Fenix.

I switched to a B+M dynamo headlight (iirc, rated at 80 lux) and the difference is phenomenal; it throws a very useful beam which is far better for navigating with than the Fenix.
To other road users, it appears similar to a bright but not dazzling moped light - my nephew said that speed and noise aside, he thought it looked like a motorbike approaching.
If I go off-road, I sometimes mount a 1000 lumen handtorch to my handlebars but this is not necessary for road use.
Off-road, the handtorch's biggest benefit to me (over the dynamo light) is for making sure I'm aiming for the right exit point of the field.

mr_s81

Über Member
Have just ordered a Ravemen PR1200, not because it can output 1200 lumens of retina searing light, but because it allegedly has a 'friendly' beam option and a long runtime when using lower brightness settings. will find out when it arrives... :bicycle:

Looking at this light myself. What's the verdict @the_mikey ?

Top Bottom