Pannier Options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I currently tour with four panniers:

2 x Altura Arran 36l panniers at the rear
2 x Halfords panniers at the from - capacity unknown

My first mini tours were with just the Alturas though I supplimented their capacity with a couple of carrier bags bungeed on the rear rack.

What do fellow cycle campers use when using just two panniers? Naming brand and capacity would be helpful. I quite like the notion of touring with just two panniers.

snorri

Legendary Member
I usually have a small backpack (brand long worn off) bungeed on top of the rear panniers with the shoulder strap around the seatpost for increased security. This holds the "valuables" and goes on my back when leaving the bike unattended.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

snorri said:
I usually have a small backpack (brand long worn off) bungeed on top of the rear panniers with the shoulder strap around the seatpost for increased security. This holds the "valuables" and goes on my back when leaving the bike unattended.

Thanks Snorri but my original question is unanswered.

Whats the capacity and make of your panniers. Thirty six litres of Altura Arrans are insufficient for my needs and my needs are quite modest:smile:

FWIW, I use a Camelback Mule for my valuables and use it for hydration purposes during the ride.

snorri

Legendary Member
vernon said:
Thanks Snorri but my original question is unanswered.
Sorry, I thought you meant in addition to the panniers. :smile:
My rear panniers are Carradice Carradura 44 litre.

I would be using 4 panniers for tours longer than a few days just to get the load better balanced if nothing else. Not sure that I see any great advantage in restricting myself to two panniers.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

snorri said:
Sorry, I thought you meant in addition to the panniers. :becool:
My rear panniers are Carradice Carradura 44 litre.

I would be using 4 panniers for tours longer than a few days just to get the load better balanced if nothing else. Not sure that I see any great advantage in restricting myself to two panniers.

I've got enough assimilated pies about my upper body not to have to worry about balancing the load between the front and rear. :smile:

I do take stuff that doesn't see light of day on tour with me and I'm wondering whether or not I can get away with two rear panniers. Mind you I'm wanting to divert all my spare cash towards the Dave Yates frame that i've just acquired so the panniers might have to be a deferred purchase....

P.H

Über Member
For short breaks or when I want to use my Audax bike, all my stuff that isn't needed from one end of the day to the other fits in a pair of Vaude Discover panniers 30ltr. Anything I might need on the ride fits in a 11 ltr Carradice saddlebag, that's waterproofs, suncream, tools, first aid kit... Maps and valuables in a small 4ltr barbag. It's a tight fit, with just a bit of space in the saddlebag for shopping or extras. The only thing not in bags are the tent poles on top of the rack.

For longer tours, or where there's rough stuff riding I'll add a front rack and a pair of 25 ltr panniers, for the same reasons as snorri. I don't carry any more but the extra capacity gives a git more flexability for shopping and makes it easier to seperate stuff - wet and dry, clean and dirty...

It's always worth experimenting, I've yet to do two tours with identical kit, but the more I do the smaller the changes.

morehawes

Ortlieb Classics all the way. Thats 40L and then extra stuff in a dry bag on top of the rack. Plenty if you're willing to cut down a bit... but by the sounds of it you may not be :-/

Top Bottom