Pannier Rack Rear Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sotkayak

Veteran
Winterizing bike
Often use the bike for utility rides to the shops etc (6km to 10km round trip generally )
. Coat obscures saddle post rear lights . Pannier rack rear lights don't seem readily available .So tried a quick bodge -wrapped steradent tube in gaffer tape and bolted to pannier rack.6mm roofing bolts used -a tad too long(30mm) -so gaffer taped the protruding bit .Fits standard seat post rear light fittings. Tested over 15 kms of tarmac and gravel tracks this afternoon and evening.Works well.Must get a metal or pVC pipe and make a neat and workmanlike job of this bodge . But it will possibly remain until the bodge ,the bike or I expire...

37646644712_a0928c9f13_z.jpg 20171013_173824 by andre dup, on Flickr

Drago

Legendary Member
** cough **

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/cateye-rear-carrier-mounting-bracket/

Rack mounts are available for most removable led rear lights.

the snail

Guru
You'd be better off buying a light that bolts straight onto the rack, IME lights mounted like that get broken off pretty quickly. Well they do if you are as clumsy as me.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
You could put a couple of Cateye RapidX lights on the vertical rack tubing quite easily.

Here is a picture of the light mounted on a seat stay for an idea of how it may look...

maxresdefault.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The first time you go shopping you will pick up a package longer than the rack.

Can you see the problem.

There are far easier solutions to the problem.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Customers: "We have this great way of attaching rear lights to our bikes. Two small holes on a bracket fitted to every rear rack or the same two holes on a rear mudguard engage with a simple pin on the light into one hole and is secured by a effective bolt through the other hole into the light. It never fails."

Marketers/Bike company: "Let's change it."

"Attach it to the seatpost," bleats the salesman in the bike shop as he shows me the latest lux/lms/Lith Ion/USB death ray wonderlight. "I'm on a traditional sized road bike with a horizontal tube with a small under seat bag. No room I say."

I couldn't understand the added abuse I got from drivers whenever it rained and I had to ride at night. Eventually the penny dropped. My jacket covered the light rendering me unlit to following drivers.

I have mutilated and bodged lights since then just to spite those clever (?) marketing executives!

Sorry for the hijack OP, I have had a stressed morning that has included a critical Mother in Law and trying to find two small hedgehogs in the World's most cluttered garage!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Good racks have a light plate on the rear to accept lights that have a pair of bolts either 50 mm or 80 mm apart. Your rack appears to have a light plate with 2 slots rather than 2 or 4 holes, and will fit either bolt spacing.
The lights are mostly dynamo lights, but there are also battery versions of many of them - eg Spanninga Elips, B+M Toplight View
They are common enough, being more or less ubiquitous amongst Dutch, German, Danish etc utility cyclists, but not in the average British LBS that caters mostly to the lycra crowd, and which view lights as things that always go on handlebars or the seatpost.

There are adapters like Drago's for many brands of seatpost clip lights - I've got a Smart one in my bits box, and one for the Aldi/Moon COB light on my rack.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I use a Cycliq Fly6 rear camera/light and have a 3D printed bracket for my rear rack - it works brilliantly, but I think it’s a shame that the manufacturer insist that the device should only be fitted to a seat post. As others have said, that’s not always practical if you have a saddle bag!

If you have a light bracket on your rack, use it as intended for a rack style of rear light. The location tucked under the rear of the rack is protected from damage and does not interfere with clothing or rack top loads.
I fitted my Smart rear light using a metal bracket to adapt the existing rear light holes to the ones on the lamp. I dont like adding additional bracketery but it is sometimes neccessary.

Top Bottom