Pannier Rack Rear Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldstrath

Über Member
Here's one that will fit if your pannier rack has holes 80mm apart.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XNQ4RQ4

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
image.jpg
this was my solution, enjoyed the wine first

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Customers: "We have this great way of attaching rear lights to our bikes. Two small holes on a bracket fitted to every rear rack or the same two holes on a rear mudguard engage with a simple pin on the light into one hole and is secured by a effective bolt through the other hole into the light. It never fails."

Marketers/Bike company: "Let's change it."

"Attach it to the seatpost," bleats the salesman in the bike shop as he shows me the latest lux/lms/Lith Ion/USB death ray wonderlight. "I'm on a traditional sized road bike with a horizontal tube with a small under seat bag. No room I say."

I couldn't understand the added abuse I got from drivers whenever it rained and I had to ride at night. Eventually the penny dropped. My jacket covered the light rendering me unlit to following drivers.

I have mutilated and bodged lights since then just to spite those clever (?) marketing executives!

Sorry for the hijack OP, I have had a stressed morning that has included a critical Mother in Law and trying to find two small hedgehogs in the World's most cluttered garage!
No hijack, @Hugh Manatee -my thoughts entirely

Last edited:
Thanks for the constructive replies and links ,Guys. I have contacted Tredz to see if this universal cat eye mount fits the tortec tour pannier rack I got from them ...,and then see if it accepts any of the rear lights I have. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cateye-Rear-Rack-Mount-Bracket_30414.htm

Should work ok; we've fitted them to a few racks including Tortec ones.

We mostly fit these ;

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.ETC-Tail-B...MIz4bgibry1gIVxrDtCh3xSwSZEAQYASABEgLEVPD_BwE

Although they aren't the brightest lights around.

Lot's more people are interested in Dynamo lights these days with the hub types getting lighter although it's never the cheapest option(especially if it's a wheel re-build)but new bikes with integrated dynamo set's are becoming more popular.

freiston

Veteran
With those types of seat post clamps, you can often get a decent mount by threading the clamp screw through a right-angle bracket that are available from high street ironmongers such as Robert Dyas or Wilcos. The bracket can be screwed onto the rack's light-mounting plate. To illustrate, here's a couple of my DIY jobbies - the seatpost/seat-stay collar is cut off on the rack-mounted light but is left intact on the mudguard mounted light - the photo of the rack-mounted cateye is on the slosh - the lamp is level (the lights don't slip down):
37451843610_77d9c1f154_z.jpg

37451859190_e6c1e279b6_z.jpg
37660645146_6ca877468c_z.jpg

OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
OP
OP
S

sotkayak

Veteran
Top marks to Tredz - ordered the above items at about 1 am Monday ,delivered this afternoon (Tuesday ) - and the same promptness everytime I have ordered.

The cateye mount fits the tourtec tour rack very well -2 screws holding the mount- will have to store until a cateye is bought as none of my current lights fit ( Go and Wilko cheapos)
ETC 5 LED rear light fits the rack well -and gives good light.Took a 12 km ride along the Crab and Winkle way this evening to see how it held up .Most chuffed with it.
The light.. 37715984586_2b3a7a17da_z.jpg 20171017_181237 by andre dup, on Flickr

Top Bottom