Panniers / Racks - Which ones do you use and Why...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
fossyant said:
Thanks all - Took advice on the rack, and had a good half hour 'fiddle' with the Trunkbag before going for one.

Went for the Topeak Super Tourist DX rack, and the Topeak Trunkbag EXP - slightly less capacity than the DXP (16l vs 22l as the top doesn't expand) but it fits all my 'site visit' kit in. When travelling to work and back (no need for shoes and carrying locks), I can zip up the side panniers. The side panniers will hold a few tools etc when zipped up.

I'll see how I go, but 16l capacity seems enough.

The bike looks terrible.......must have upped my SCR status....;)

Topeak do some good well priced stuff. I have the Tourist bar bag which is well made and excellent VFM. Thank feck you didn't buy a Blackburn rack as they are sh1t. A lucky escape there. The welding is of very poor quaility. I have two stays held in place with lots of cord and gaffer tape as welds have broken. Unfortunately I am stuck with these racks for the time being until I can afford something else, ideally Tubus, but they are £££££. But you get what you pay for I guess.

Wrt panniers there is an excellent alternative to Ortlieb that is better made and has side pockets and that is the Vaude Aqua range. The rear Plusses have waterproof side pockets as well which are very useful. Plus the roll top isn't a PITA to fasten like Ortlieb Roller Classics. All you need do to close the roll top, is roll it, then use the central strap and buckle to secure it in place. If you want to go the whole hog as you are in a torrential downpour then you can secure the ends using the straps and buckles on each side as well.

clarion said:
Ortlieb panniers are great if you want to use them as flotation aids. Definitely waterproof.

But they're only Ok if you want to throw all your gear in one big bag and never need to find anything in a hurry. No external pockets is a big no for me. If you do put pockets on, you're paying extra (on top of £Lots already), and you compromise the waterproofing.

Oh - and they're a faff to open & close.

Super Cs are as waterproof as you're ever likely to need unless you're bog snorkelling, and do have easily accessible side pockets for wallet, phone, tools, or even pen & paper to write down the details of the eejit who's just hit you with his car.
That's the reason I went for the Ortleib Sports Packers; they do have an external (mesh) pocket and are easier to open and close. OK I couldn't submerge them and expect them to keep the water out but like your Super C's they are as waterproof as I'll even need ;-)
Just looked at the new version, they've got rid of mesh pocket and added an integrated inner pocket instead ;)

fossyant said:
Thanks all - Took advice on the rack, and had a good half hour 'fiddle' with the Trunkbag before going for one.

Went for the Topeak Super Tourist DX rack, and the Topeak Trunkbag EXP - slightly less capacity than the DXP (16l vs 22l as the top doesn't expand) but it fits all my 'site visit' kit in. When travelling to work and back (no need for shoes and carrying locks), I can zip up the side panniers. The side panniers will hold a few tools etc when zipped up.

I'll see how I go, but 16l capacity seems enough.

The bike looks terrible.......must have upped my SCR status....;)
My Ortleib Sport Packers are only 15l each and IMO that's a better size for commuting; I just carry a small foldable scrunch bag in the front pocket for emergencies and so far its worked for me. :whistle:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
potsy said:
Oh dear foss,that's it for you now,it'll be M+ next and a nice sensible hybrid:laugh::biggrin:

God forbid..........:thumbsup:

1st commute to a site plus return to office, got all the crap in the bag + panniers including the HEAVY locks...OMG you realise how heavy they are. Bike felt odd - no more chucking it around accellerating.....just let it (the bike) do it. The pannier was heavier than the bike.....;)

Side panniers now rolled back up into pockets so just top bag for return home (locks left in office when not needed). Happy so far, can't imagine being 100% waterproof, but clothing is always wrapped in a bag to stop creasing.

Side pockets (when the pannier is rolled up) are big enough to take tools, 'p' kit, 2 x tubes, multi tool and a waterproof overshoe each.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If I turn up to the next monthly ride, am I going to find Fossy sporting SPD sandals & a nice beard? It's a slippery slope, you know.

potsy

Rambler
Browser said:
Could be worse, he might start thinking about getting a 'bent....................:evil:
He might be losing it,but he's that daft:laugh:

Top Bottom