Panniers / Racks - Which ones do you use and Why...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

mikeitup said:
Topeak Super Tourist DX
+ 1, disc brake version in black - looks wide but does the job nciely. Only thing is the black paint has scuffed a couple of times already :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fossy - I think a rack may be overkill, if it's only for the commute.

Mine drove me mad - two panniers was too much (as was the temptation to carry more and more stuff) and one pannier made the bike feel wrong.

A Carradice (in my case, the Lowsaddle longflap) carries everything I need, and puts the weight central and behind me.

My rack is a Tor-Tec expedition, fwiw, but I don't use it atm.

EDIT: Mind you, that Tubus Fly is very "you"...

I use Blackburn Expedition at the back, and Blackburn Lowriders up front. Cause I'm old fashioned.

Both are black.

Having said that, i rarely use panniers when commuting ;D

When I do, it's either my Super Cs (black) or Alturas (red/black). Those Alturas are maaasssive!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I need something relatively compact. Bike has full mounting points.

To and from the office, I generally carry one lock, waterproofs, shirt/undies, tools.

Going to other sites I need it to carry above, the odd A4 folder, two more locks, trousers and shoes. Rucksack is 25l capacity and does fine.

The Topeak MTX Trunk bags look interesting as I don't need full capacity all the time ?

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkBagDXP

I use panniers - I could be that it is because I have lots of them or more probably that I like them

Altura dryline panniers - front and rear steel racks for touring and rear aluminium racks for utilty and going home to see my mother

Ortlieb panniers are great if you want to use them as flotation aids. Definitely waterproof.

But they're only Ok if you want to throw all your gear in one big bag and never need to find anything in a hurry. No external pockets is a big no for me. If you do put pockets on, you're paying extra (on top of £Lots already), and you compromise the waterproofing.

Oh - and they're a faff to open & close.

Super Cs are as waterproof as you're ever likely to need unless you're bog snorkelling, and do have easily accessible side pockets for wallet, phone, tools, or even pen & paper to write down the details of the eejit who's just hit you with his car.

Davidc

Guru
Moodyman said:
Another vote for Topeak Super Tourist rack - disck brake version.

I use economy black panniers from Chain Reaction.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13690

They're no Ortlieb, but as I leave them on the commuter permanently, I don't fear that they'll be nicked.

I use the same design, but from SJS, either their website or on ebay.

Just right for everyday transport - gym, shopping, evening classes, day trips on the bike, etc. etc. If I was going touring again I'd buy better though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mostly I use a courier bag (three of my bikes won't take a rack), but when I need to use panniers I've got some basic Altura jobs that I've had for quite a while and a Tortec Ultralite rack.

The panniers aren't waterproof; I line them with some heavy-duty poly bags, or, alternatively, a couple of roll-top waterproof stuffsacks that I bought for backpacking. Just about to attach the rack to my fixed as it goes, It's the only bike I've got that's sort of suitable for touring at the moment..

Plax

Guru
I have a Tubus Cargo rack;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tubus_Cargo_Rear_Rack/5360025253/?rn=168

As for panniers I have the Ortliebs Roller classics. They are good for touring. However I don't much like them for commuting. They are a faff to open on the hop and have no separate pockets for tools (unless you buy the pockets extra, which I haven't done). If I was to go shopping for panniers again I'd go for the Ortlieb bike packers http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Bike_Packer_Plus_Panniers/5360041587/

I personally prefer using a Carradice saddle bag with SQR attachment. I have the Barley and the Super C. I'm currently using the Super C as there is bags of space.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks all - Took advice on the rack, and had a good half hour 'fiddle' with the Trunkbag before going for one.

Went for the Topeak Super Tourist DX rack, and the Topeak Trunkbag EXP - slightly less capacity than the DXP (16l vs 22l as the top doesn't expand) but it fits all my 'site visit' kit in. When travelling to work and back (no need for shoes and carrying locks), I can zip up the side panniers. The side panniers will hold a few tools etc when zipped up.

I'll see how I go, but 16l capacity seems enough.

The bike looks terrible.......must have upped my SCR status....:sad:

Top Bottom