Paranoia about buying a bike off Gumtree - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
I'm contemplating getting a touring bike for the winter months but every time I see one I like on gumtree my spidey senses tingle slightly, especially if the seller has a few decent bikes for sale and the prices look a bit lower than you might expect. The Careful Christian in me tells me to avoid as there's a chance it could be stolen - am I just being paranoid for no reason, and is there a resource to check for stolen bikes?

Sixmile

Veteran
You're probably right to be cautious. This careful Christian has bought a bike off Gumtree before. In fact, I was very pleased with the purchase, feel it was totally legitimate but it took me a long time to find what I was looking for. If there's any doubt then walk away. Most genuine sellers don't mind talking about the bikes history, the retail price (even might have receipt), and about how many miles it has done. Some sellers may even have Strava data to back up their mileage on the bike. The bike register I believe is such a resource for bike checks.

KneesUp

Guru
Ask for proof of ownership. If the seller gets uppity or evasive, walk away
But remember that not everyone can provide it - my bikes are made from bits picked up here or at cycle jumbles, or from eBay, and one is my dad's old bike - I can't prove I bought any of them, really.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But remember that not everyone can provide it - my bikes are made from bits picked up here or at cycle jumbles, or from eBay, and one is my dad's old bike - I can't prove I bought any of them, really.
I couldn't prove where I bought most of my bikes but I could show photographs of them taken on rides dating back 15+ years!

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe not hence I said if they get uppity or offensive. A £50 hack I wouldn’t be bothered, a £300+ bike I’d want to know and there’s plenty of choice anyhow

Drago

Legendary Member
Take a couple of large Ukranian ex spetznatz troopers with you, in case the ad is simply a ride for Johnny Scumbag to lure you to a place where he can rob you of your loot.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@nickAKA i wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you feel comfortable with the person selling the goods , try to arrange a meet up at his home address rather than somewhere public , if poss road test bike etc etc .
Get proof of ownership if poss same for proof of purchase
But most important enjoy the bargain and ride it

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unless you strike it lucky and are buying a one-owner bike from a well-organised individual it's totally unrealistic to start expecting bits of paper proving the seller actually owns the bike or a receipt to show when they bought it brand new. I have only bought one secondhand bike like that, but such transactions are the exception not the norm. If you are buying older steel bikes in particular, most will have had several owners by now, and as things get older and less valuable, buyers and sellers become less interested in maintaining paper audit trails. They just want a functional bike. I've even bought cars without logbooks before now, you just have to make a judgement on the vendor and factor in whether the price is a good bargain.
The reality is most people with multiple bikes, have a good chance of having a stolen one amongst them, even if the seller they bought from was honest. Bikes are at their most valuable and attractive to thieves, when they are still fairly new. You might buy a 25 year old bike that was stolen when only one or two years old, then bought by an innocent owner from the thief, and subsequently bought and sold several times since, always in good faith. Only the thief would know the truth, and all the subsequent owners would believe the bike was kosher, because they had always done straight deals. Most owners don't record frame numbers, and they are not centrally registered unlike cars, so most stolen bikes cannot ever be positively identified as such. I would not knowingly buy a stolen bike, but at the same time I don't stress about the possibility that one of mine could have been nicked at one stage in it's life, even if a couple of owners ago. It's like worrying that the banknote you were handed as change in a shop might have previously been taken in a robbery.

Top Bottom