Parenting..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
[QUOTE 2018060, member: 1314"]
Future best - my oldest (12 yr old) turning out as the No 8 and Captain for England at Twickenham. He's being looked at by Harlequins.[/quote]

If my kid joins Harlequins I'm disowning him!

Having read the above, I'm having second thoughts about becoming a Dad. However at 26 weeks, I think its a little late to back out now!

screenman

Legendary Member
Kids, they only ever get worse. Proud in fact very proud Dad of 38, 34 and 23 year old boys, all a total credit to their Mum who made a great job of bringing them up whilst I left the cave and made the money needed.

On another note the wife and I were 17 and 18 when the first was born and we are still happily married, so I am told.

tadpole

And happy birthday to yo u

And happy birthday to you Sandra! We realised today that quite often our girl will have her birthday on her first day back at school!
I'm sure that her birthday presents will all be really useful, maybe not quite what she wants, but geomatry sets and school clothes for birthday will alway prove useful....:laugh:

PK99

Legendary Member
he came back from my dads happy enough until at 1am he's in his room crying, i go in and there's this smell...
you know its leaked out of his nappy, except son#1 used to sleep with his bum in the air so its not only leaked out, it in fact has filled most of his sleep suit.
straight into the bath, shower on, strip and hose. then throw out sleep suit and sheets (rubber mattress cover, lifesaver)
turns out my dad had fed him cottage pie that day, despite us saying to give him plain foods....

we once fed our 9 month old (now 23) on leftover cauliflower cheese - she blew up like a rugby ball and you could almost cut the air in her room with a knife.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Oh go on, what's the worse that can happen....?

To be honest I give the lass a lot more freedom because I'm not with her all day every day like her poor old mum, it's also sometimes worth it for comedy value - at the moment the wee one is determined to make off with our last lemon, but can't figure out why after putting her hand through the narrow gap at the edge of the fruit trolley and grabbing the lemon why her hand won't then fit back through the gap. Top.

tadpole

Keep you camera hand when you works it out, and takes her first bite. My daughter did it with an orange, I'm sure I could have retired on the money earnt from the picture of her face, had I taken one.

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

Ah, she tried her first bit of rhubarb a few days ago, her poor little face nearly turned inside out! I did take photos of the first time we ever gave her solid food http://thisishuge.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/weaning-day-1-oh-humanity.html

Ha. terrific stuff. Took us ages to work out why the boy would create holy hell at dinner time and of course it turned out he wanted to be involved and eating too. Eating out became a lot easier after we worked that one out.

At just under 10 months he's yet to get any teeth through but has been on 'solid' food for the last 4 months or so, in fact he eats a more varied and better diet than we do as his mother cooks up vast batches of various meals once every 6 weeks or so, pots them up individually then freezes them. Favorite at the moment is definitely tuna pasta thing..but we've yet to find anything he won't eat. I was also very impressed with the variety of the menu at his nursery after we'd signed off to say he could have anything going.

Touch wood he's on the mend and actually slept through last night which is a rare occurrence. Saturday was particularly challenging with a a dodgy stomach and nappy changes averaging every 20 to 30 mins.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ha. terrific stuff. Took us ages to work out why the boy would create holy hell at dinner time and of course it turned out he wanted to be involved and eating too. Eating out became a lot easier after we worked that one out.

At just under 10 months he's yet to get any teeth through but has been on 'solid' food for the last 4 months or so, in fact he eats a more varied and better diet than we do as his mother cooks up vast batches of various meals once every 6 weeks or so, pots them up individually then freezes them. Favorite at the moment is definitely tuna pasta thing..but we've yet to find anything he won't eat. I was also very impressed with the variety of the menu at his nursery after we'd signed off to say he could have anything going.

Touch wood he's on the mend and actually slept through last night which is a rare occurrence. Saturday was particularly challenging with a a dodgy stomach and nappy changes averaging every 20 to 30 mins.

While not wanting to burst your bubble.....

I gather that pickiness starts later. My nephews both started off eating anything, and then developed fads when they hit toddler stage.

I think there's a theory that this is a form of protection against poisoning. When still in arms, they can trust anything a parent presents to them as good to eat. Once they develop the capability to potentially forage for themselves, the risk of picking something bad increases, so they get more sensitive to bitterness and so on. For a similar reason, they sometimes become shyer with strangers at the same time, when before they'd go to anyone.

Plus it's all part of the developing power struggle between parent and a child who is just starting to realise that they exist as an individual, and wants to exercise their own free will. Choosing not to eat that delicious wholesome dinner (which you ate happily enough last week, didn't you?) in the face of pleading and cajoling is a relatively harmless way to do battle, and they'll always eat enough to live, one way or another....

Andrew, I love the picture where she looks like a sort of stumpy Dalek on the table....^_^

Top Bottom