Parenting..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
A while back, there were series on TV around the same time featuring the Supernanny advising on difficult children, and the woman in a sports car who wears leather trousers and tames badly behaved dogs. Suddenly, I realised that basically, it's the same thing. Praise good behaviour, punish bad behaviour with withdrawal of attention (time out), and provide enough stimulus to prevent boredom. Yes, the toddler is eventually cleverer than the dog, so it takes more effort, but that's what it boils down to.

I'm certainly not trying to make it sound easy, BTW. My admiration for my sister with two small boys is boundless.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Andrew, I love the picture where she looks like a sort of stumpy Dalek on the table....^_^

One of my favourite ever photos of her :smile:

Sandra6

Veteran
A while back, there were series on TV around the same time featuring the Supernanny advising on difficult children, and the woman in a sports car who wears leather trousers and tames badly behaved dogs. Suddenly, I realised that basically, it's the same thing. Praise good behaviour, punish bad behaviour with withdrawal of attention (time out), and provide enough stimulus to prevent boredom. Yes, the toddler is eventually cleverer than the dog, so it takes more effort, but that's what it boils down to.

I'm certainly not trying to make it sound easy, BTW. My admiration for my sister with two small boys is boundless.

I totally agree, dog training and child training are very similar. Both respond well to praise and bribery and not to physical violence.
I think my dog is probably cleverer than the children though. I'm sure if he could reach he'd wash his bowl after breakfast anyway.

G2EWS

Tell me about it! I have a degree in kids!

34 year old Daughter, married with two grandchildren
31 year old Son, married with one grandson
29 year old Son, married with two grandchildren
Almost 15 year old Daughter seen in my avatar

They don't get any easier as they get older, but their needs and annoyances just change with time.

Oh and for my sins many years ago I did a lot of voluntary work in Childrens homes. Teaching mountaineering and general outdoor activities! Boy that was fun!

Best regards

Chris

fimm

Veteran
On the subject of comedy value - we gave my sister's nephew (who was about two at the time IIRC) a balloon, which had not been tied up, so it deflated in the way balloons do. His face... poor wee soul... we did it a number of times too, we were laughing so much. A bit cruel, really...

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
On the subject of comedy value - we gave my sister's nephew (who was about two at the time IIRC) a balloon, which had not been tied up, so it deflated in the way balloons do. His face... poor wee soul... we did it a number of times too, we were laughing so much. A bit cruel, really...

My girl is terrified of balloons!

She's learnt to walk in the last few days, and seeing her trying to walk in a sleep suit was hilarious!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I still have their first pair of wellies :smile:

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

All I got last night was the entire contents of the boys middle of the night bottle, all down my back. Thank god his bedroom has a wooden floor or we'd be chucking the carpet out by now.

One day he might not have a cold / virus / ebola.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It all kicks off again after they start school.... nasty germ ridden places, bit like hospitals!

Really miss being a daddy... when they get past 21 they're not interested in damming streams, skipping and lego... tsk.

G2EWS

It all kicks off again after they start school.... nasty germ ridden places, bit like hospitals!

Really miss being a daddy... when they get past 21 they're not interested in damming streams, skipping and lego... tsk.

Archie, once they get past 14 they are not interested!!

My youngest was 15 this weekend and because I paid for a Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow to come to our beer festival meet where we had the Birthday party, she actually gave me a few cuddles!!

http://www.jacksparrowforhire.co.uk/

Best regards

Chris

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

Their loss! When I reached my thirties I started getting really into the idea of doing more cool stuff with my dad, and now the fact he's a grandparent means we get the chance! I feel very fortunate to be a parent right here, right now because I know I'm getting to do a lot of stuff with my girl that the grandads never had the chance to - my dad is in charge of feeding my girl when they're looking after her because he never had the chance with me or my sister (due to work, etc). It's very sweet.

postman

Legendary Member
And now 16 and a half years later.i am starting to worry how she will cope in Uni,looking after herself,shopping,cooking ,washing her clothes.If i had any hair i am sure it would be falling out.

Got to let go,got to let go,let her fly and not crash,oh please.

Top Bottom