Parents: do you let your kid(s) cycle to school?

Parents: do you let your kid(s) cycle to school?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
[QUOTE 3281963, member: 45"]When we were kids we were out and about much earlier. So children these days are more behind in terms of learning.[/QUOTE]
This^^^^^

IMO kids today seem to have more independence but less of the ability or common sense that should go hand in hand with independence, or maybe I am just an old fashioned git looking back to 'the good old days' through my rose tinted specs?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My 4½yo is cycling to school but with either Mrs Ian or myself walking with him. (It's only ½ mile walk) He has a cable combination lock of which he has learnt how to lock and unlock.
Looking in the bike shed, out of a school of 210 there are only 2 other (bigger) bikes. The shed is chock full of scooters.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3281979, member: 45"]No. When I was 7 my mom used to cross us over the busy road at the bottom of ours and I'd walk the rest of the way to school.

Mind you, where you live makes a difference. Now we live in a small, quieter and more accountable town the boys are a lot more independent. When we lived in Birmingham they wouldn't have been safe going to the park a few houses down the street on their own.[/QUOTE]

We will have a similar problem with a busy road.
Unfortunately to get to Jnr's school we have to cross a very busy A Road. So can't see any time in the near future jnr crossing it on his own.

U

User169

Oldest daughter (9) completed her first solo ride home from school today. It's not very far and there's only one difficult junction, but it does feel like a bit of a watershed moment.

noodle

little boy of 6 sort of does its only a half mile and he is on the pavement with his stabilisers still on. he is proud to wear a helmet and makes me put mine on when i deliberatly forget.
i am refusing his other wish though he found my old mint sauce mbuk top and wants me to wear it on the ride from school

Top Bottom