Paris - Roubaix- Arenberg Forest

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Captainwull, 12 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. Captainwull

Captainwull Active Member

Hello,
    I've decided not to do Flanders this year. I want to see what the Arenberg Forest is like during Paris - Roubaix.
    Has anyone been? I could use some advice like where to stay and if there is a decent big screen to watch the race unfold anywhere near the forest.

Thank you

2. jxd08

jxd08 New Member

We stayed in an Ibis is Lille last year. There is a huge screen and laods of bars, food, party atmosphere at the start of the Arenberg. If you ride it, then say a prayer before that segment as it's horrific.....! We found it was a great place to watch.

Bollo likes this.
  3. DP

DP Chasse patate

Roubaox itself is a bit of a dump. Better to base yourself in Lille.

Bollo likes this.
  4. Bollo

Bollo Failed Tech Bro

I’ve not done Roubaix but my main ride crony went to the velodrome finish a couple of years ago. Great atmosphere, but yes, a dump.

I rode a section of the cobbles when I went to watch the 2014 TdF. Admittedly I did it with a cycle trailer in the rain, but it was the single most hellish experience I’ve ever had on a bike.

DP likes this.
  5. A few years ago, we went on one of the Graham Baxter Sporting Tours; to watch Paris-Roubaix

We did see Arenburg, it was a fairly dry race, but it looked brutal
    All you see on TV, but amplified

You can hear those bikes complaining. the chain-slap is horrendous

6. Apollonius

Apollonius Über Member

Been to see the race a couple of times on the organised tour. Superb value and all the work is done for you. It is a bit hit and miss as to what you see as it is tough going chasing a bike race by coach, but you get to the start, some cobbles, and if your luck is in the finish in the Velodrome. All for about £200!

7. I think it was about '94 - '95?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice