Park workstands - worth the premium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
I work on a double Park workstand at the bike charity where I'm a volunteer. Even the whambo's at our place haven't worked out a way to break it so it shows how robust it is. At home I use a Wrench Force folding workstand and I've had that for maybe 12 years. Another rock solid piece of kit but I've no idea if they even do them any more. Park tools are considered the bees knees and when I look at the tools we have at the bike charity the Park ones we have (I'll admit we haven't got that many Park ones) are solid and despite the best attempts of the probationers to break them they remain intact. We have a pedal spanner that has had some serious misuse and yet it's our first choice when trying to shift an awkward pedal.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Whilst I don't own a Park stand, I do have a cheaper stand that was bought far too many years ago and whilst it does the job there are numerous "Issues" that I thought would be good to highlight when you're looking for a stand, Park Tools or otherwise.

Bad Points:

The horizontal neck needs to be long enough to hold the bike away from the Vertical part of the stand. Mine isn't quite there and when I turn the pedals the nearer one fouls on the vertical upright, making oil the chain or indexing the gears a real pain.

The clamp ideally needs to be some form of quick release, mine screws shut and trying to hold the bike in the air whilst simultaneously screwing the clamp shut against the seat post is problematic to say the least.

My stand has no tool tray, so when your undoing multiple bolts and trying to not let a part go flying away it again is less than ideal.

Balance, I'm not sure if it's the design or something else, but if the bike is clamped by the seatpost and one wheel removed the whole shebang becomes really unstable and difficult to manage.

Good Points.

The legs fold away easily so collapsing it together for storage is fine.

So I know I'm not answering your question directly, but hopefully it's some food for thought when considering a workstand. Would I consider a Park stand? If it alleviated the problems highlighted above, then most definitely. I have some Park tools amongst my collection and for some specific tools they are undoubtedly worth the premium, I think their stands fall into this category as well.

I'd like to add - A magnetic bits tray is a brilliant addition.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’ve a Park stand, it’s fine, very solid and heavy. The weight is good for balance but makes it a bit awkward to get out each time I need it. Got it in a sale so similar price to others. However, I do most of my derailleur tweaking etc with the bike hung on longish brackets on the wall.

I work on a double Park workstand at the bike charity where I'm a volunteer.

It that one of these?

Park_Tool_Stand.jpg

Is it possible to work on both sids of both bikes without getting poked by pedals and handlebars?

Would I consider a Park stand? If it alleviated the problems highlighted above, then most definitely.
I have a Park Tool PCS-10, bought nearly nine years ago. It suffers from none of the issues you cited.

It's been used constantly over the nine years and is, so far as I can tell, as good as new. I can't say that it's better than any other since I've only ever owned this one, but I certainly never think that there is anything lacking in it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have a Park Tool PCS-10, bought nearly nine years ago. It suffers from none of the issues you cited.

It's been used constantly over the nine years and is, so far as I can tell, as good as new. I can't say that it's better than any other since I've only ever owned this one, but I certainly never think that there is anything lacking in it.

Ditto - similar remarks apply to my PCS-9.

Very solid and stable.

Got it in an Evans sale about 5 years ago for £80 - bargain imo.

https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/books/park-tool-home-maintenace-bike-stand.html

+1 ! Not sure I want (Need ?) to stretch to a Park stand. But not sure an eBay £28 jobbie is the right move either…..

Must be a halfway house somewhere in there ?

The 0ne I got from Lidl looks identical to this £40 ebbay one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10028534476

As I said its still going after 10 years but to be completely open:

• The handlebar pole holder strap snapped, I replaced it with a zip tie
  • One of the plastic feet has just broke, this will only matter if you use it on a floor that you don't want damaged.
To end on a positive I love that it is is folding, I don't do enough maintenance to justify a permanent workshop so this is fine.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all!
Whilst I don't own a Park stand, I do have a cheaper stand that was bought far too many years ago and whilst it does the job there are numerous "Issues" that I thought would be good to highlight when you're looking for a stand, Park Tools or otherwise.

Bad Points:

The horizontal neck needs to be long enough to hold the bike away from the Vertical part of the stand. Mine isn't quite there and when I turn the pedals the nearer one fouls on the vertical upright, making oil the chain or indexing the gears a real pain.

The clamp ideally needs to be some form of quick release, mine screws shut and trying to hold the bike in the air whilst simultaneously screwing the clamp shut against the seat post is problematic to say the least.

My stand has no tool tray, so when your undoing multiple bolts and trying to not let a part go flying away it again is less than ideal.

Balance, I'm not sure if it's the design or something else, but if the bike is clamped by the seatpost and one wheel removed the whole shebang becomes really unstable and difficult to manage.

Good Points.

The legs fold away easily so collapsing it together for storage is fine.

So I know I'm not answering your question directly, but hopefully it's some food for thought when considering a workstand. Would I consider a Park stand? If it alleviated the problems highlighted above, then most definitely. I have some Park tools amongst my collection and for some specific tools they are undoubtedly worth the premium, I think their stands fall into this category as well.
Cheers Chris - seems like a really comprehensive overview and much appreciated as I've not used a stand before so have no practical experience of what to look out for. All makes sense and echoes what I've read elsewhere :smile:

I personally don't think park tools are worth it mostly. There is a huge premium for them which I don't think is justified. I would expect there to be an alternative choice of similar quality between the low end stuff and park. I would explore all the options and you may find something as good for half the price.
Indeed; I get the impression that their stuff is often better, but not to the extent that it scales with the price. The problem is that there's an enormous amount of stuff on the market, brands come and go, products change, reviews are sparse, variable and sometimes of questionable validty and I'm unable to experience most of these products first-hand.. while there's only so much you can tell about something from pictures on the internet..

Id say not. I also use a Lidl one, after 10+ years it's still going strong.

What is the cost of a PT one?
Their two consumer-focussed items are the 9.3 (RRP £285, cheapest I've seen is £145) and 10.3 (RRP £365, cheapest I've seen is around £190). There's also the "team issue" (RRP £455, cheapest £310) and a few higher-end models aimed at pro use which are really eye-watering.

Seems like the 10.3 is the most likely candidate. Oddly there's a big spread of prices with online retailers charging anything from RRP and the cheapest quoted above. Not sure how common this is; I know bike-related stuff usually has a fat margin and is often discounted.. added to this the need for wholesalers to maintain cashflow and I wonder if they're slashing prices to dealers even moreso currently to get stuff shifted..

+1 ! Not sure I want (Need ?) to stretch to a Park stand. But not sure an eBay £28 jobbie is the right move either…..

Must be a halfway house somewhere in there ?
This is exactly where I'm at. Tbh I've bought various cheapo-no-name items in the pats and really have always been underwhelmed. A good example is a Chinese copy of a Manfrotto tripod I bought years and years ago. On the one hand for the £60-dd it cost compared to the c. £180 for the real deal it was surprisingly good; however not without its shortcomings and looking back I wish I'd just put my hand in my pocket for the genuine item.

As for halfway houses I'm not really sure what's there and as per my response to bonzobanana above such products seem like a bit of a minefield; with loads out there and potentially not much ability to assess them.

Ditto - similar remarks apply to my PCS-9.

Very solid and stable.

Got it in an Evans sale about 5 years ago for £80 - bargain imo.

https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/books/park-tool-home-maintenace-bike-stand.html
Thanks - that does sound like a bargain - if I could get one for that money I'd not give it a second thought tbh!

Thanks again for all the responses.. unsurprisingly they mostly echo my own thoughts. I'm not going to go for the cheapest since as above, I've done this before and while the likes of Aldi and Lidl doubtless offer stuff that's great value, there have to be compromises at such price points.

I'm very well attuned to appreciating nice tools and happy to spend a reasonable amount to get something that excels at its job. In addition there's the question of longvevity. It seems that unless you spend £500 on a pro-spec Park Tool item you're going to get a lot of plastic.

Obviously the quality of this can vary enormously if something like a tube clamp fails it's going render a stand useless; doubtless writing-off cheaper offerings, creating a lot of waste and bringing me back to square one. At least with something like a Park I'd hope that the plastic quality is better and that they offer reasonable after-sales parts supply.

I think I'm gravitating towards the Park 10.3, which has (amongst other things) a nicer, quick-release clamp which (as chriswoody) suggests is a welcome feature. I remain put off by the plastic, price and fact that it doesn't seem to pack down as compactly as alternatives, but so far it seems like the best game in town as a whole package..

I'll continue to ruminate and if prices haven't changed for the worst by the time I've reached a decision might take a punt on one - after years of working on bikes precariously propped against things a stand would be pure luxury :smile:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
@wiggydiggy @wafter

Many thanks for you thoughts 😉 I may well take a flyer on the £40 eBay one kindly linked to…..

I’ve managed 52 years on this Planet without one so far, and will only be doing fairly menial tasks myself. Anything ‘serious’ I’ll be leaving to a Professional - so it’s probably ‘enough’ for me. I’ll have a ponder while I’m away on holiday this week and buy something when I home !

Cheers muchly again 😎

Jameshow

Veteran
@wiggydiggy @wafter

Many thanks for you thoughts 😉 I may well take a flyer on the £40 eBay one kindly linked to…..

I’ve managed 52 years on this Planet without one so far, and will only be doing fairly menial tasks myself. Anything ‘serious’ I’ll be leaving to a Professional - so it’s probably ‘enough’ for me. I’ll have a ponder while I’m away on holiday this week and buy something when I home !

Cheers muchly again 😎

Whatever you buy it will be a night and day improvement over not having one!

Their two consumer-focussed items are the 9.3 (RRP £285, cheapest I've seen is £145) and 10.3 (RRP £365, cheapest I've seen is around £190). There's also the "team issue" (RRP £455, cheapest £310) and a few higher-end models aimed at pro use which are really eye-watering.

Seems like the 10.3 is the most likely candidate. Oddly there's a big spread of prices with online retailers charging anything from RRP and the cheapest quoted above. Not sure how common this is; I know bike-related stuff usually has a fat margin and is often discounted.. added to this the need for wholesalers to maintain cashflow and I wonder if they're slashing prices to dealers even moreso currently to get stuff shifted..
Thanks again for all the responses.. unsurprisingly they mostly echo my own thoughts. I'm not going to go for the cheapest since as above, I've done this before and while the likes of Aldi and Lidl doubtless offer stuff that's great value, there have to be compromises at such price points.

I'd say go for a Park Stand then as you've convinced me whilst the Lidl works for me it sounds like you want something a step above those stands.

I just had a look at the Park Tools website and they offer wall mounted stands which have caught my eye :whistle: I'll wait a year though to see how much fettling I actually do!

Mike_P

Guru
I'd say go for a Park Stand then as you've convinced me whilst the Lidl works for me it sounds like you want something a step above those stands.

I just had a look at the Park Tools website and they offer wall mounted stands which have caught my eye :whistle: I'll wait a year though to see how much fettling I actually do!

How on earth is that £220+ and the wall mount part separately c.£100 ?

Top Bottom