Park workstands - worth the premium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How on earth is that £220+ and the wall mount part separately c.£100 ?

I've got no idea lol I've got a west facing wall that with a small roof could be a very good fettling area for outside, I could probably build something for less.

Mike_P

Guru
I've got no idea lol I've got a west facing wall that with a small roof could be a very good fettling area for outside, I could probably build something for less.
Theres this for £26 on Amazon with good ratings

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportneer-Bicycle-Adjustable-Removable-Maintenance/dp/B08X4DXCXM

Theres this for £26 on Amazon with good ratings

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportneer-Bicycle-Adjustable-Removable-Maintenance/dp/B08X4DXCXM

My partner has a version of that and she's very pleased with it. It's sturdy and fitting the actual clamp arm to the wall mounted plate is secure and very rapid (2-3 seconds), so taking the clamp bit indoors is easy. The jaws are pretty hard plastic and potentially scratchy, but I made microfibre covers to address that. It's really very good for the price.

mustang1

Guru
I use a parktool stand and it's excellent BUT I have not used any other stand so idk how it compares. @chriswoody brought up some good points about the non-parktool stand.

For me, the parktool is overkill as I hardly use it BUT when I want something to work, I want it to work well. Time is short so I tend not to research much these days, I just get whatever has a good reputation.

Last edited:

My partner has a version of that and she's very pleased with it. It's sturdy and fitting the actual clamp arm to the wall mounted plate is secure and very rapid (2-3 seconds), so taking the clamp bit indoors is easy. The jaws are pretty hard plastic and potentially scratchy, but I made microfibre covers to address that. It's really very good for the price.

That looks very practical, will save it onto a list as not rushing in but now I own a home rather than rent that's the sort of thing I want to look at instead of portable/put-away-able things.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers all - looks like as usual I've become a victim of my own dithering as the 10.3 has sold out at the good price and the next one up is the PRS25 - again at a good price but I don't think I can stomach near-on £300 for a stand..

Looks like that idea will be put back on the shelf and quietly backed-away-from until the next time I'm sick of slumming it with the repairs..

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Cheers all - looks like as usual I've become a victim of my own dithering as the 10.3 has sold out at the good price and the next one up is the PRS25 - again at a good price but I don't think I can stomach near-on £300 for a stand.. looks like that idea will be put back on the shelf and quietly backed-away-from until the next time I'm sick of slumming it with the repairs..

A few years ago I bought a generic stand for under £40 and it does the job fine. It's not perfect - the rubber shoes on the jaws needed gluing on and the quick release on the jaws doesn't open/close far enough to avoid a bit of twiddling

Alex321

Veteran
Cheers all - looks like as usual I've become a victim of my own dithering as the 10.3 has sold out at the good price and the next one up is the PRS25 - again at a good price but I don't think I can stomach near-on £300 for a stand..

Looks like that idea will be put back on the shelf and quietly backed-away-from until the next time I'm sick of slumming it with the repairs..

Just get one of the cheap ones.

There is nothing about a Park stand that can justify the additional cost unless you are a professional bike mechanic, using it all day every day, when a cheap one will probably wear out more quickly.

Just make sure it has four legs rather than three (more stable), and that it has a tool tray and a device to hold the handlebars steady. Oh, and that the main arm extends far enough that the pedals don't foul the upright.

It isn't like some tools where precise tolerances make a difference in the day to day use of the tool.

Dadam

The Aldi one has five legs, the main arm extends far enough and it has an adjustable magnetic tool tray. #justsaying :whistle:
As I've said above the only downside has been the handlebar rod breaking where the loop attaches but it's easily fixable. Think I'll just bolt a velcro strap to that end.
I'm sure other things would start breaking if I used it every day but I don't think it can't be beaten at the price.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Aldi one has five legs, the main arm extends far enough and it has an adjustable magnetic tool tray. #justsaying :whistle:
As I've said above the only downside has been the handlebar rod breaking where the loop attaches but it's easily fixable. Think I'll just bolt a velcro strap to that end.
I'm sure other things would start breaking if I used it every day but I don't think it can't be beaten at the price.

When are they next in stock however?

I have this one too, and it does the job. Worth looking out for one.

Top Bottom