Park workstands - worth the premium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd love a workstand but have never got around to sourcing one due to the overwhelming choice and inability to make an informed decision.

It seems that some Park stuff is being offered at knockdown prices in various places; does anyone have any experience of their workstands and if so how do you find them in terms of usability / robustness / quality / value?

I have a few Park tools and their gear seems to range from really good to middling with a big price hike for the name - a bit like the cycling equivalent to Snap On, perhaps.

As usual I'm not averse to paying for quality and am happy to spend a bit more if it's on something that will essentially last forever, but I don't want to pay through the nose just for the name when something from a "lesser" brand might be just as good for less money..

They are rock solid. I have an Aldi workstand that is fine - but if I did a lot of work on the bike - it would be easy to justify the costs of the Park.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Park ones are decent - my work's shared bike workshop has them.

Alternatively an Elite one is also good and I've one of those. It folds down a bit smaller than the Park one, not that I ever seem to stop doing stuff to actually fold it down.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whilst I don't own a Park stand, I do have a cheaper stand that was bought far too many years ago and whilst it does the job there are numerous "Issues" that I thought would be good to highlight when you're looking for a stand, Park Tools or otherwise.

Bad Points:

The horizontal neck needs to be long enough to hold the bike away from the Vertical part of the stand. Mine isn't quite there and when I turn the pedals the nearer one fouls on the vertical upright, making oil the chain or indexing the gears a real pain.

The clamp ideally needs to be some form of quick release, mine screws shut and trying to hold the bike in the air whilst simultaneously screwing the clamp shut against the seat post is problematic to say the least.

My stand has no tool tray, so when your undoing multiple bolts and trying to not let a part go flying away it again is less than ideal.

Balance, I'm not sure if it's the design or something else, but if the bike is clamped by the seatpost and one wheel removed the whole shebang becomes really unstable and difficult to manage.

Good Points.

The legs fold away easily so collapsing it together for storage is fine.

So I know I'm not answering your question directly, but hopefully it's some food for thought when considering a workstand. Would I consider a Park stand? If it alleviated the problems highlighted above, then most definitely. I have some Park tools amongst my collection and for some specific tools they are undoubtedly worth the premium, I think their stands fall into this category as well.

Mike_P

Guru
My Lidl one is too rotative in the wind of the rear yard and the home made one by @Imaginos pictured in this post https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/h...he-winter-honestly.289763/page-9#post-6944328 is an attractive resolution.

Alex321

Veteran
Whilst I don't own a Park stand, I do have a cheaper stand that was bought far too many years ago and whilst it does the job there are numerous "Issues" that I thought would be good to highlight when you're looking for a stand, Park Tools or otherwise.

Bad Points:

The horizontal neck needs to be long enough to hold the bike away from the Vertical part of the stand. Mine isn't quite there and when I turn the pedals the nearer one fouls on the vertical upright, making oil the chain or indexing the gears a real pain.

The clamp ideally needs to be some form of quick release, mine screws shut and trying to hold the bike in the air whilst simultaneously screwing the clamp shut against the seat post is problematic to say the least.

My stand has no tool tray, so when your undoing multiple bolts and trying to not let a part go flying away it again is less than ideal.

Balance, I'm not sure if it's the design or something else, but if the bike is clamped by the seatpost and one wheel removed the whole shebang becomes really unstable and difficult to manage.

Good Points.

The legs fold away easily so collapsing it together for storage is fine.

So I know I'm not answering your question directly, but hopefully it's some food for thought when considering a workstand. Would I consider a Park stand? If it alleviated the problems highlighted above, then most definitely. I have some Park tools amongst my collection and for some specific tools they are undoubtedly worth the premium, I think their stands fall into this category as well.

My lidl one (same as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10028534476) alleviates all of those issues. And it only cost £20 when I bought it.

I believe the Aldi ones are pretty well identical. The Halfords ones only have three legs, so may be less stable.

I personally don't think park tools are worth it mostly. There is a huge premium for them which I don't think is justified. I would expect there to be an alternative choice of similar quality between the low end stuff and park. I would explore all the options and you may find something as good for half the price.

No not really. My Aldi one holds the bike in the air tightly and does its job. £24 compared to 'How much!' seems a bit pointless to me.

It is a source of minor embarrassment that we use Aldi stands in our workshop; they've lasted surprisingly well but they are in need of replacement.

Mine is held up by a garden umbrella stand, although it is a proper marble umbrella stand I'll have you know; non of your cheap tat.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I have the Aldi one and it'll do . I have used to use a Park one that was screwed to the floor in a workshop and that was excellent and could hold a heavy ebike with battery brilliantly.

Top Bottom