Park workstands - worth the premium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

I guess and assume that you have looked on gumtree...I regular see park stands for sale
If you get lucky maybe one appears I your area
That way ...you get the park at ( almost) aldi costs

wonderloaf

Veteran

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I guess and assume that you have looked on gumtree...I regular see park stands for sale
If you get lucky maybe one appears I your area
That way ...you get the park at ( almost) aldi costs
I got mine for nothing and it was still in its original box! :smile:

(My cousin's bike almost fell off my crappy old stand when he was working on it on a cycling holiday here. A few weeks later he phoned me and told me to expect a delivery the next day. He'd seen about £30 off the usual price of the stand in a sale and decided to treat me to one!)

cyclintom

I'd love a workstand but have never got around to sourcing one due to the overwhelming choice and inability to make an informed decision.

It seems that some Park stuff is being offered at knockdown prices in various places; does anyone have any experience of their workstands and if so how do you find them in terms of usability / robustness / quality / value?

I have a few Park tools and their gear seems to range from really good to middling with a big price hike for the name - a bit like the cycling equivalent to Snap On, perhaps.

As usual I'm not averse to paying for quality and am happy to spend a bit more if it's on something that will essentially last forever, but I don't want to pay through the nose just for the name when something from a "lesser" brand might be just as good for less money..

In general you can find a Park workstand on Craigslist if you're persistent. I would recommend against anything else which is bound to PO some people. But all of the best shops I've been to use them as well as the two shop rated stands I've had over the years.

Alex321

Veteran
In general you can find a Park workstand on Craigslist if you're persistent. I would recommend against anything else which is bound to PO some people. But all of the best shops I've been to use them as well as the two shop rated stands I've had over the years.

Most people don't need one which will last a shop for many years, because most of us aren't using them for 30+ hours a week, which many shops will be doing. Nor can we claim it as a business expense against tax.

My £30 (£20 when I bought it) Lidl one has lasted 5 years so far (and I expect many more years yet), using it on average maybe half an hour a week. It is completely stable, and holds the bike firmly. What improvement over that would I get from a Park tools stand?

cool_hand

Über Member
Aldi have their cycling stuff in this week, stand is £30, in store from Thursday.
seems to be out of stock online
https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-bike-assembly-stand/p/814824664830400
How often do Aldi get these Stands in?

DogmaStu

I have both a generic workstand and a Park Tool one. Both are good - the Park Tool one is sturdier, no question, but the cheapy one does the job too.

Most of my tools are Park Tool and they are nice - I actually only started collecting them since moving back to the UK and deciding to do all my own bike work given the cost of labour here.

cool_hand

Über Member
In our local store today …I thought 19.99 but could be wrong.
I tried my nearest store this morning – they'd never seen them. It is not possible to contact individual stores to check if they have stock as they don't advertise the stores phone number. Tried contacting Customer Services and they said they can't check inventory - I have to go to the store. Apparently ALDI are opening a mega-store in a couple of weeks time 5 miles from where I live and should have stock of all Specials - problem is I need the stand sooner than that!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I tried my nearest store this morning – they'd never seen them. It is not possible to contact individual stores to check if they have stock as they don't advertise the stores phone number. Tried contacting Customer Services and they said they can't check inventory - I have to go to the store. Apparently ALDI are opening a mega-store in a couple of weeks time 5 miles from where I live and should have stock of all Specials - problem is I need the stand sooner than that!

Never seen them in our local Aldi.

I have a Park stand so never really looked out for them although Mrs SD likes a middle aisle rummage and has never seen them either.

Top Bottom