"Parted" company with my bike this morning..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooncat

Given that the snow has basically all gone now (apart from the snow piles from clearing carparks etc) I desided to come to work via the cycle path this morning (nicer ride through open country etc).

After half a mile I realised this was a bad plan as I met the path covered with hard snow/ice with about a 6inch strip at either side which had melted. I progressed along here (un clipped!!) at a very slow pace till I met a bit that had not melted (only about 3" wide) where bike just went from under me and I ended up flat on my face (on the ice). Bike was fine and so was I (luckily no one around to see me :biggrin:), but I decided on a revision to route and headed for the nearest path to the main road and grit.

Think I will just stick to the roads at the moment and walk part of the cycle path at the weekend before trying it again!!

PBancroft

Yup - still very icy in places. I had a slidy moment on the bike this morning. A rather sheltered position but on the main road. Luckily the guy in the car behind reacted well as I careered around with my legs waving madly as I tried to rebalance myself.

Stay safe.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Ooo.. nasty, marooncat. Glad you're OK.

Is that a new bike you've got? Last I heard (on PfS in September), your bike had decided to part company with HonestMan's rack and do a few cartwheels along the motorway.

gouldina

marooncat said:
Given that the snow has basically all gone now (apart from the snow piles from clearing carparks etc) I desided to come to work via the cycle path this morning (nicer ride through open country etc).

After half a mile I realised this was a bad plan as I met the path covered with hard snow/ice with about a 6inch strip at either side which had melted. I progressed along here (un clipped!!) at a very slow pace till I met a bit that had not melted (only about 3" wide) where bike just went from under me and I ended up flat on my face (on the ice). Bike was fine and so was I (luckily no one around to see me :thumbsup:), but I decided on a revision to route and headed for the nearest path to the main road and grit.

Think I will just stick to the roads at the moment and walk part of the cycle path at the weekend before trying it again!!

Virtually exactly the same thing happened to me about two weeks ago. Bike just went without me turning or braking. Fractured or bruised some ribs and made a mess of my face but fine now. Glad you were OK.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

goo_mason said:
Is that a new bike you've got? Last I heard (on PfS in September), your bike had decided to part company with HonestMan's rack and do a few cartwheels along the motorway.

Yeah insurance paid out and I got one a few weeks afterwards (Specialized Vienna) and really impressed with it - you could say HonestMan did me a favour:biggrin:. Due to various reasons excuses I have only done about 450 miles since i got it but impressed so far with it. It did cross my mind when I went down this morning that it had better not be damaged.

Coco

Ouch! Hope it all heals.

Still a lot of ice out East then? We're pretty much clear of it here.

OP
OP
M

marooncat

Coco said:
Ouch! Hope it all heals.

Still a lot of ice out East then? We're pretty much clear of it here.

Not really which is why this caught me out, there is no way I would have gone that way if I thought there was any risk of ice! There are still piles of ice/snow at the side of carparks where it was all piled up but apart from that nothing. I think this path (and another one I found when I was out for a walk at lunchtime) have had quad bikes or something over them with the snow which has compacted it down into ice which is just not going anywhere.

Top Bottom