Parts you would buy just for the name.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've got a suntour skitter on my racing bike. One of the first slant parallelogram designs, works beautifully on a five speed block with down tube friction shifters.

Can't think of anything I'd buy for the name, but some schwalbe MTB tyres have such daft names I'd be put off buying them (nobby nic, racing ralph etc).

froze

Über Member
While I believe Suntour for most of their models were the best derailleurs ever made, even to this very day, I wouldn't buy a Suntour derailleur without a bike to put it on.

davidphilips

Veteran
Know its a total waste of money but would and do buy used bits of Ebay just because they are either nice names or good looking just to add some bling to my bikes, ie, dura ace chainsets, chromag saddles, Ritchey bars and stems to name but a few.
Know i do spend quite a bit an example, bought a used (less than 300 miles from new) caad 8 Claris, within about 2 months, it had fitted new larger tyres, 105 groupset, better bars and stem, pedals saddlebag and mini pump.
Know its time and money wasted but along with cycling thats my hobby, so yes costs money but better than drinking, smoking or gambling it away?

pjd57

Veteran
I keep looking at Dolan bikes and reckon I would like one.
Would it be a bit daft having my name on my bike ?

AndyRM

XOXO
I keep looking at Dolan bikes and reckon I would like one.
Would it be a bit daft having my name on my bike ?

Dolan is an unusual name, but I don't see anything daft about having it on your bike.

All the pro's seem to do it.

pjd57

Veteran
Dolan is an unusual name, but I don't see anything daft about having it on your bike.

All the pro's seem to do it.
They seem to be good value for the money .
Anytime I've had a chance to ask owners about them , they're always happy with their bikes .
When the glut of recently bought bikes appears on the second hand market this winter , I might get lucky

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't think of anything I'd buy for the name, but some schwalbe MTB tyres have such daft names I'd be put off buying them (nobby nic, racing ralph etc).

You left out Magic Mary's.

I've got Maxxis Minions - fantastic tyres and remind me of the cartoon characters (also have Yellow Maxxis print). I've got Nobby Nics too. I also had Farmer John's Cousin tyres on my 90's MTB, but now have Chunkey Monkeys !! Who said MTB tyres were boring. Smart Sam, Fat Albert... etc.

Top Bottom