Pashley Guvnor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Freddyflintstone

Freddyflintstone

To OP; are you buying this as an heirloom or a capital investment or something?

Buy gold; it'll keep it's value better, although it's not so good at getting you to the pub
Bit of both really
I am into Lathes as well (yawn!!) If you buy certain ones, use them and when you sell them
you would probably lose a tenner on a 2K purchase after 10 years.
As we all know, a BSO would be scrap metal after 2 years.
So buy a Guvnor, look after it, and the loss on selling is trivial (hopefully) then get a better one

porteous

Veteran
Now THIS is class, and you will probably be able to buy it and arrange transport for way under Pashley prices. Notce it has the 4 speed hub and dynohub for lighting. You would be surprised what a good polish and service will do, too!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUDGE-MEN...UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4ab1296074#ht_500wt_1130

Whoever designed the pashley had an eye for design, and even with a bunch of modern parts it still all fits together. Neither Dawes nor Raleigh manufacture their bikes in the UK, and haven't for a long time.

The Dawes is a poor pastiche of a 'retro' bike - a brown saddle and grips do not a retro bike make - whilst the Raleigh is a bandwagon jumping parts bin special. It's just trying too hard without really having a sense of its own identity nor its place in history. They made a Guvnor wannabe. Why? Raleigh has a very rich past through which they could have trawled. Like a chrome plated Superbe for example.

chrome_raleigh11.jpg

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I once saw an absolutely beautiful pair of Raleigh roadsters in a bike shop in Bury St Edmunds. There was a black gentleman's bicycle and a brown lady's bicycle. They were only £130 each. I thought that's interesting, Raleigh are selling retro bikes, but I think they must have been restorations. They looked brand new though. I like the Pashley roadsters, but they seem somewhat different to the sort of thing my grandma and grandad used to have. I think they mostly took the chainguards off and I don't ever remember seeing drum brakes.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My Guv'nor is a handsome chap especially with his newly fully-taped handlebars.
Here's a recent pic:-

Lovely.

betty swollocks

large member
It is indeed. Nice idea not to slap a bloody great "Pashley Guv'nor" decals all over it too.
Discreet 'Guv'nor' decals in white either side of the top tube near the head tube, 'Pashley' badge on the head tube and a 'Reynolds 531' sticker at the top of the seat tube.

Goldie

Über Member
Pashley every time. It's the real deal; made from God's own bike frame tubing by people probably related to William Shakespeare. It's quite expensive... but Pashley have earned that extra cash by putting love and care into the bike. The Dawes is an embarassing half-arsed imitation, made worse by the fact that Dawes have a great back catalogue that could be raided if they really want to do the vintage thing properly. Plus the Ambassador's got something like a 32 tooth chainring, which I'd imagine will lead to legs flailing at food processor-like speeds but little forward movement.

bobg

Über Member
Discreet 'Guv'nor' decals in white either side of the top tube near the head tube, 'Pashley' badge on the head tube and a 'Reynolds 531' sticker at the top of the seat tube.

Difficult question I know, but I'm intrigued, what does it feel like to ride? Can you compare it with any other bike? and BTW, what's the size of the tyres?

ta

Top Bottom