Pashley Guvnor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
pashley governor is a modern bike in retro styling, or at least is still (or has recently been) in production

Smut Pedaller

Über Member
The Pashley is a lot nicer, and has hub drum brakes, comes with an option of 3 speed and just looks cooler. It is 2x the price though.

The Ambassador looks a bit more practical because it has mudguards, although the V-brakes make it look naff

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
The Ambassador looks better than I expected to be honest, and I prefer the frame's geometry as the Guv'nor looks very long and slack, as older bike in that style are. But, the devil is in the detail as Smut Pedaller mentions. Also, the Pashley frame will be made better, the components will be better (although I can't help feeling that they are let down by cheap looking brake levers and grips) and overall it will be a better bike, in my opinion, and if you are seriously considering it as an affordable alternative, get the Guv'nor. There is something about Pashley bikes, and other traditionally made bikes, that is lost in translation when other, more modern, companies attempt to replicate them.

This is worth a look >> http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2010/08/pashley-guvnor-retrogrouch-dream.html

A colleague at work has the double top tube version(link fixed), but with a more laid back setup, which looks ACE.

The Amassador is an embarrassing bandwagon jumper with zero cred. As is the recently released Raleigh. The Pashley is a sturdy old tank in the traditional style. It's 'nice' but it's only a Pashley. Hanging modern parts doesn't make it less of a gas-pipe monstrosity of the kind we couldn't wait to turn our backs on when as soon as we could afford 531 or Tange.

And the price is a joke. Make the same thing but better by buying an entry level Gazelle, taking the mudguards off it and flipping the bars.

10036-10038_ToerPop_T3_H_001.ashx

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
The Amassador is an embarrassing bandwagon jumper with zero cred. As is the recently released Raleigh. The Pashley is a sturdy old tank in the traditional style. It's 'nice' but it's only a Pashley. Hanging modern parts doesn't make it less of a gas-pipe monstrosity of the kind we couldn't wait to turn our backs on when as soon as we could afford 531 or Tange.

And the price is a joke. Make the same thing but better by buying an entry level Gazelle, taking the mudguards off it and flipping the bars.

10036-10038_ToerPop_T3_H_001.ashx

Although the Guv'nor frame is identical to the steel Roadster frame, it is infact made from Reynolds 531.

Saying that I agree with what you're saying. That Gazelle is a fine beast by the way. Very nice. And without the heart-stopping price tag.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Even with that and the titanium seat rails, I don't think its really what you might think of as a lightweight.

porteous

Veteran
get a nice 4 speed gentleman's bike from the 1940s or 50s Rudge; Hudson; Raleigh etc all good. Half the price of a new "retro" or peanuts if you rebuild a dead (but sound) one. Lots about on FleaBay or in your local rag!

OP
OP
Freddyflintstone

Freddyflintstone

I am a newcomer to this site and I must say "I have learnt a lot and enjoyed learning"

So in a nutshell
If I bought a Guvnor and I'm dead and buried for 100yrs would it be worth anything?

Many Thanks guys

I am a newcomer to this site and I must say "I have learnt a lot and enjoyed learning"

So in a nutshell
If I bought a Guvnor and I'm dead and buried for 100yrs would it be worth anything?

Many Thanks guys

I like to peer into the future on a regular basis, it helps with my investments. And yes, I can confirm that your Guv'nor will be worth something in 100 years.

You wont though.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
To OP; are you buying this as an heirloom or a capital investment or something?

Buy gold; it'll keep it's value better, although it's not so good at getting you to the pub

Top Bottom