Pashley Roadster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
My friend gave up on this rod braked Pashley so he’s let me have it. The seat post and saddle were stolen ( I presume it might have been a Brooks) so that’s one of the items I need to source.
It looks complete although a bit crusty in places but I wasn’t expecting a concourse project.
Does anyone have any experience on ageing this bike, the three speed hub isn’t dated like a Sturmey Archer but I get the feeling it might not be as old as the rod brakes make you think

Attachments

• 3B5F3A3D-22BE-4BB5-843A-6C8A05887C1E.jpeg
    3B5F3A3D-22BE-4BB5-843A-6C8A05887C1E.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 36D12171-0928-4F9A-B480-BC325AB5BCC6.jpeg
    36D12171-0928-4F9A-B480-BC325AB5BCC6.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 39F167A1-F6EB-466E-AE1D-6C201F3A8825.jpeg
    39F167A1-F6EB-466E-AE1D-6C201F3A8825.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2485A0D7-6F5E-4501-A96B-E095136E7BC0.jpeg
    2485A0D7-6F5E-4501-A96B-E095136E7BC0.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 20
  • F4FA59DF-7909-4662-87AB-62129CFB63F5.jpeg
    F4FA59DF-7909-4662-87AB-62129CFB63F5.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 20
  • CD7B2773-E500-4A69-AC8C-887AAC4CD686.jpeg
    CD7B2773-E500-4A69-AC8C-887AAC4CD686.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 20

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looks "interesting" - I'm never quite sure about Pashleys; I like the retro aesthetic but sometimes it feels like more style than substance. I think they have some provenance though.

The earliest iteration of BS6102 I can find is 1981; suggesting this is no older. Raleigh made the Superbe with rod brakes at the same sort of time, although this was also more of a style-driven re-issue than a continuation of a long-running design..

Wil be interested to see how you get on :smile:

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Looks "interesting" - I'm never quite sure about Pashleys; I like the retro aesthetic but sometimes it feels like more style than substance. I think they have some provenance though.

The earliest iteration of BS6102 I can find is 1981; suggesting this is no older. Raleigh made the Superbe with rod brakes at the same sort of time, although this was also more of a style-driven re-issue than a continuation of a long-running design..
Wil be interested to see how you get on :smile:

Thanks for the info, I had my suspicion it was younger than the rod brakes suggested which doesn’t bother me as I still wanted a rod braked bike to play with.
The internet isn’t much use in finding out much about the model or year but I will crack on with what I have and see if it works

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks for the info, I had my suspicion it was younger than the rod brakes suggested which doesn’t bother me as I still wanted a rod braked bike to play with.
The internet isn’t much use in finding out much about the model or year but I will crack on with what I have and see if it works

No worries - I'm quite intrigued by rod brakes (have owned pretty much everything but these at some point) - I guess there's a reason they're now obsolete though :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
Very nice and interesting project. Pashley themselves might be able to help you date it if you write to them and give them the frame number.

Do you have 26" or 28" wheels? A 28" wheeled roadster really does give a ride quality different from just about anything else. It won't be fast but will be really relaxing and comfortable and gives a majestic feeling being perched up so high.

Setting up rod brakes can be a bit time consuming but once done, they shouldn't need touched for ages. They get a bad reputation but I've found that set up correctly, they work perfectly well in the dry but are hopeless in the rain, just like any other bike with chrome rims.

The key to the brakes is to have the wheels well trued, especially radially as if they're out of round or flat-spotted you will get horrible brake judder. Try and adjust out as much play in the linkages as possible, straighten the rods if they're bent and have the brake blocks close to the rims but have a good range of movement between the leavers and the bars to allow plenty of leverage. Also make sure both blocks hit the rim at the same time.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Very nice and interesting project. Pashley themselves might be able to help you date it if you write to them and give them the frame number.

Do you have 26" or 28" wheels? A 28" wheeled roadster really does give a ride quality different from just about anything else. It won't be fast but will be really relaxing and comfortable and gives a majestic feeling being perched up so high.

Setting up rod brakes can be a bit time consuming but once done, they shouldn't need touched for ages. They get a bad reputation but I've found that set up correctly, they work perfectly well in the dry but are hopeless in the rain, just like any other bike with chrome rims.

The key to the brakes is to have the wheels well trued, especially radially as if they're out of round or flat-spotted you will get horrible brake judder. Try and adjust out as much play in the linkages as possible, straighten the rods if they're bent and have the brake blocks close to the rims but have a good range of movement between the leavers and the bars to allow plenty of leverage. Also make sure both blocks hit the rim at the same time.

Just had a look and it’s 28” which I never realised were in use back in the day, I always presumed that era was 26”

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
E9B451D7-3166-45FD-BE0B-AFB125343498.jpeg

Bolted some bits on today and found a seat post. The gear shift is tight as hell so I’m not sure if there is a way of fettling that.
I’ve seen a few old Brooks saddles with big springs that would be in keeping with the look on various auction sites.
I think it needs a big carrier at the back as well

lutemake4

My friend gave up on this rod braked Pashley so he’s let me have it. The seat post and saddle were stolen ( I presume it might have been a Brooks) so that’s one of the items I need to source.
It looks complete although a bit crusty in places but I wasn’t expecting a concourse project.
Does anyone have any experience on ageing this bike, the three speed hub isn’t dated like a Sturmey Archer but I get the feeling it might not be as old as the rod brakes make you think

@skudupnorth - I recently acquired a similar rod braked Pashley roadster to yours. I've tried contacting Pashley on several occasions to get confirmation on the build date, but have yet to receive a reply in over a year. As best I can tell by other images and the component selection with the Sachs "Dreigang" (three speed) hub & Shifter and the Union dynamo, it's a mid-1980's model, around 1984. They made a similar model in the 1990's called the "Propsero," but I'm not sure if it was called that in 1984.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
@skudupnorth - I recently acquired a similar rod braked Pashley roadster to yours. I've tried contacting Pashley on several occasions to get confirmation on the build date, but have yet to receive a reply in over a year. As best I can tell by other images and the component selection with the Sachs "Dreigang" (three speed) hub & Shifter and the Union dynamo, it's a mid-1980's model, around 1984. They made a similar model in the 1990's called the "Propsero," but I'm not sure if it was called that in 1984.

I had a suspicion it was a later “ retro” style bike which doesn’t detract the appeal of a rod braked project. It’s a tatty thing but already it’s growing on me. I’m hunting for a reasonably price Brooks B.66 sprung saddle now but that might have to wait until after Christmas

Top Bottom