Pavement cyclist obeying red light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Cycling in this morning, get to the edge of town, waiting at a red light to turn left. Had signalled clearly, the bikes behind me knew, the car in the lane of traffic to my right knew. Bike pulls up on my left, on the pavement, also waiting at the red light. I looked incredulously at said cyclist, signalled left again, light changed, I went forward around the corner, she went straight out from the pavement, I rang my bell and she stopped sharply, looked terrified if I'm honest.

A first, I think. A pavement cyclist paying strict attention to a red light, but completely ignoring other traffic when crossing the road. Odd.

if not a typo then I understand the confusion.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

John Ponting said:
if not a typo then I understand the confusion.

D'oh!

Brain know which way going and can point that way. Brain forget names of directions sometimes. Bad brain. Must be punished.

Was indeed turning left.

Cab said:
A first, I think. A pavement cyclist paying strict attention to a red light, but completely ignoring other traffic when crossing the road. Odd.

I'm seeing that quite a bit where I live. Cyclist doesn't want to stop at RL, jumps on to pavement and then decides to be a pedestrian to cross the junction before rejoining road other side of the lights. Normally without actually dismounting and walking.

Highway Code rule 170 almost applies; would apply if they walked.

Take extra care at junctions. You should
  • watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
  • watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)
I've obliterated points #1 and #3.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

I'd certainly always look out for anyone crossing, whether on foot, electric buggy thing, bike or whatever. Thats just the kind of time that a bell comes in handy; it doesn't mean "LOOK OUT I'M GOING TO HIT YOU", of course, but it can make someone wake up and pay attention to the road they're about to step on to.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
dondare said:
You have a bell?

I have to say, I have one on my bike too - utterly useless 90% of the time, as people either ignore it, or stop in their tracks (evidently thinking "I've heard something like that before, now what does it mean...?"). Speaking seems more effective (generally "Excuse me please", occasionally "Watch out!" if someone hasn't seen me and needs a slightly more urgent warning).

The tones of a cycle bell are unable to penetrate iPOD headphones too, apparently.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bells.....argh - what's wrong with Wow, Oi or even swearing when they don't hear the polite stuff....

Dosey mare !

Cab said:
I'd certainly always look out for anyone crossing, whether on foot, electric buggy thing, bike or whatever. Thats just the kind of time that a bell comes in handy; it doesn't mean "LOOK OUT I'M GOING TO HIT YOU", of course, but it can make someone wake up and pay attention to the road they're about to step on to.

... whilst not overlooking that they (morally) have right of way over you if their foot has left the kerb. I recently had to "educate" a chavvy young female driver in a car with 2 young unsecured kids about the rules of driving - she turned left and almost took me and a grandson out as we correctly crossed the road.

Tynan

Veteran
I use a bell, now and then it has a use, it's the classic sound of a cycle to most people, and it's a nice low key warning of the presence of a bike

shouting covers the other times

Tynan

Veteran
hey tete

almost recovered barring a tad of stiffness now and then if I do anything slightly physical with the back

I thought the shoulder was healed but lying on my right side last night for a few minutes when going to sleep told me that it isn't

ho hum

well on the way, thanks for remembering, really missing cycling

I bet you are. I remember well the excruciating desire to do exercise, and I pined for my bikes soooo much when recovering from my broken clavicle. I managed to sit on the turbo with one arm in a sling to relieve some of the need for exercise, but its not the same.

Chin up. I wish you a swift recovery.

Top Bottom