PBP Qualifying events - the full list and who's riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcusjb

Did the Hard Boiled yesterday, it's name and reputation are well deserved! After riding from the start for about fifteen minutes and going along nicely with a large group had a nagging doubht that I hadn't put my car park ticket on the dash. Pondered on this for about two minutes befrore turning round and went back to the start and displayed my ticket correctly! Left an empty car park again about 35 minutes later. Riding in the dark on my own until the first pub control was probably the best part of the ride for me, I'm not much of a group rider and I like riding unlit country roads and lanes especially when it's pitch black with no traffic. Started to see other riders from there on and I was a bit dissapointed to see it was almost daylight as I left the pub. Remember lots of headwind after that and a bit of trouble with one of the info controls my KM wasn't quite in synch with the route sheet. Lots of fast slippery descents, well they are slippery if you go onto the grass because you couldn't make the turn! Two rapid deflations both caused by bits of flint, new schwalbe Durano's be interested to hear what tyres others were on that didn't suffer similar. Met some pleasant characters a chap on a Ti Lynskey who is doing the Dorset Coast today hope it's not as windy down here as it is here today, Good Luck! Also a couple from Macclesfield who had ridden down to do the ride and are riding back next week, tandems are fast! Hope everyone got round OK, It was a bit painfull but I think I enjoyed it! 322 KM according to my Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/275601471

Good stuff and well done!

From reports, it sounds like it was an extra tough running of the event, and even more so for those doing the double.

I highly recommend the rest of the Wessex series - the Porkers in particular is a cracker!

goody

Veteran
Entries have re-opened for the severn across. I'm going to do this instead of the asparagus and strawberries. Much easier for me to get to.

210km - Stevenage Start of Summertime Specials, Stevenage. Entry fee: £6. CC riders:
After failing on the Steam Ride, I entered this one at the last minute. I was totally unprepared for the head wind when I turned around. Ended up missing the last control by 5 minutes (battery ran out on my phone just before it, and by the time I managed to sort out the route sheet and realised I was just near a control, it was just too late. After that I limped slowly back to Stevenage just in time to miss the last train. Sat on the station until it closed, then took station staffs advice to catch the last train to Peterborough, which let me get on the first train back to London. All very dramatic, and rules out PBP .... but then yesterday

300km - 3Down, Chalfont St Peter. Entry fee: £8. CC riders: jefmcg
Done! With 5 minutes to spare! Next stop Severn. And looking for an easy 200.

goody

Veteran
Did the G&Y Saturday. Next stop Severn Across, looking forward to it will be my first 400 and the start is 8 miles from my boat so I could have a decent nights sleep before I set off. I was working the Thursday and Friday before the G&Y so had no sleep before that one and found it harder that the Hard Boiled a couple of weeks ago. The first half was wind assisted and great fun the second was a bit of a struggle wet and windy but did brighten up towards the end. 310K in 12:01 (moving time). Mostly riding on my own. I got a bit nervous going up the hill at the start and didn't fancy riding in such a large group through the dark country lanes so went off ahead and only started seeing other riders after the unofficial McD's stop. I've opted for the 7:30 start for WCW, more time in bed! Looking at the list of events there eems to be <20 from here doing the qualify events are we all still on track?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I missed out on the Dean but I'm signed up for the Oasts & Coasts 300.

Still down for the Asparagus & Strawberries 400 and Windsor-Chester-Windsor 600 but whether or not I'm able to do them depends on other factors outside my cycling life. Haven't chosen a start time for WCW - I'll take whatever they give me.

Whether or not I do the qualifying rides, it looks like I probably won't be able to do PBP this year after all. Ho hum.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Heart of England 300 completed in something under 16 hours. I have another 300 just for fun, then a 400 2nd May.

Signed up for the Plains 300 and the Heartbeat 400 but have managed to drop myself in it for a 600 as I had forgotten that I am on Holiday from May the 23 until June the 6 and the 600 qualifiers start on the 23rd so only leaving two weekends to get my final qualifier in, the first weekend's rides are the Mae Mr Pickwick yn mynd i chwilio am ddreigiau a chwedlau or the Pendle 600 and the second weekend and final chance to qualify is The East and West coast 600,the Three coasts 600 (both on my doorstep) or the the Buzzard 600 (286km away) I'm thinking of going for the Pendle 600 leaving the Three coasts as my last chance qualifier but I am going to have to really step up the mileage to manage the Pendle.

Well all my plans for this year have now been abandoned after my 5 year old was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia , it's going to be a long process but the outlook looks pretty good and hopefully I will be able to ride PBP 2019 .

Good luck and good weather to everyone riding this years event , I will be following everyone's progress on here as and when I can .

Paul

Top Bottom