PBP Qualifying events - the full list and who's riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I had a really good ride on the Flatlands 600 at the weekend. First 600 on fixed for about 13 years. I'd got myself organised for once and booked a B&B at about 385k. Then I realised that to get there by the required 10pm I'd have to go some. So I bounced the first control and barely stopped at subsequent ones. Got to Goole at 1930 thinking I was just about on schedule. Of course, turning south there was the inevitable headwind, but I struggled on with the aid of a couple of wheels to follow at various times and the occasional line of trees to break the monotony and the wind. With half an hour to go I found the stonking great hill out of Gainsborough. At 21.55, 2 miles from the B&B, I stopped to phone and confirm I was still on my way. When I got there my host was waiting for me with a torch. I was in bed by half past and up in time for breakfast at 6. I left with still about an hour in hand. At the penultimate control I stopped and indulged myself in a sit-down meal. Finished with nearly 6 hours to spare. Now to book for PBP.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Kernow & SW 600 this weekend. No, I'm not riding it, it's my event. I have 51 entries, which is a record by some way, however I'll be surprised if there are more than 40 on the road. Three halls hired, in Exeter, Penzance, and Bude. About 12 people helping in various places. I shall be up at 5 tomorrow morning to see the riders off at 6, then to Bude to see them at the first control. After that I can relax until the evening, then it's an all-night stint in Bude with C and B and others helping. Finally, back to Exeter by 2pm for the finish.
Anyone on here riding?

OK, close to me, I think - but I bet you got round faster than me. Congrats, anyway. I now have a 200,300 and 400 done, just WCW to go. I definitely know audax is not for me, but I like a challenge. :smile:

I keep hearing this noise in my head.

Considering I missed my first 2 tries at a 200, had 3 minutes to spare on a 300, and 12 minutes in hand on a 400, nobody will be surprised what happened to me this weekend. Yup. 480 only, including the ride of shame to Evesham station to get myself home. Just too far. Out of time, and out of energy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/316089905

Oh well, 2019....maybe?

goody

Veteran
Only 480! thats a very long ride. Well done for getting that far the conditions were not easy. For most of the return journey I was thinking that's it no more Audax. I perked up a bit near the end though.
https://www.strava.com/activities/316418723

Anyone know what happens with the registration process. I've filled in what I can and had a confirmation email with the password and code do I have to wait for the brevet no. from WCW?

marcusjb

Anyone know what happens with the registration process. I've filled in what I can and had a confirmation email with the password and code do I have to wait for the brevet no. from WCW?

Well done on the 600!

You have until mid-July to complete your registration now (assuming you've paid your hundred odd euros etc.?).

Fill in the three ACP numbers you already have and then the WCW one will appear in the next couple of weeks (they have been super fast this year).

I am in the exact same position now with my registration. All very exciting and looking forward to it now. Just need to sort out a few comfort issues to have a chance of finishing on fixed.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Well done on the 600!

...Just need to sort out a few comfort issues to have a chance of finishing on fixed.

One good thing about riding the Flatlands 600 on fixed is that it tested comfort very thoroughly. Not much more I can do except keep the callouses polished.

goody

Veteran
Well done to both of you! I couldn't imagine doing one of these on fixed ( i used one to commute on for a year in London, that was enough for me).
I've no idea what to expect on the french ride, how hilly is the ride, are controls manned and food supplied like WCW is there sleeping places etc. etc.
Haven't got any events planned between now and August but better think of something to keep the legs in shape. Got some comfort issues of my own to sort out might start another thread asking for short reccommendations.

What a brilliant event WCW was I definately had my low points mainly due to the discomfort I was in, I'm also a fair weather rider If I look out the window and it's raining or windy i don't normally bother going out so would have enjoyed the riding more if the weather was better. Thanks for the advice Marcus looking forward to part 2 of your packing list.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well done on the 600!
Fill in the three ACP numbers you already have and then the WCW one will appear in the next couple of weeks (they have been super fast this year)

There is a new system in place for this year. The limiting factor is now the postal link between Organiser and AUK Validator.
I think the quickest I've processed so far got the ACP numbers onto the AUK system within a week of the event.

goody

Veteran
What start times are folk going for? I'm 90 hrs and 18:30 tempted to go for the 84 and get an early morning start but this is my first so will stick with the 90 I think. Why would you go for an 84 limit?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@goody - I looked at the 90-hour availability and decided that I'd be behind the bulge. This would lose me time and since I'm under a lot of pressure for doing this I want to get round as quickly as I can.

So ... I've plunged into the 80-hour Vedette route, with a 17:45 start time. The bulge will be behind me but I'll have to ride round a bit quicker than the rest.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Only 480! thats a very long ride. Well done for getting that far the conditions were not easy. For most of the return journey I was thinking that's it no more Audax. I perked up a bit near the end though.
https://www.strava.com/activities/316418723

Your numbers seem to be very similar to mine so I just did a Strava flyby to compare our rides - it looks like we rode together for the Weston-Hartlebury northbound section!
https://www.strava.com/activities/316402723

goody

Veteran
My memories shocking I can't remember the Weston-Hartlebury section at all. It seems you are much quicker than me 0.2kmh I'll put some training in and race you next time.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
@goody - I looked at the 90-hour availability and decided that I'd be behind the bulge. This would lose me time and since I'm under a lot of pressure for doing this I want to get round as quickly as I can.

So ... I've plunged into the 80-hour Vedette route, with a 17:45 start time. The bulge will be behind me but I'll have to ride round a bit quicker than the rest.

I rode the 80hr last time. Not quickly, but I finished comfortably in about 72hrs. The only problem I had was that they were still setting up the Brest control and there weren't enough beds.

Top Bottom