PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Question: I have a Vodafone router in the lounge and a TP Link extender in the back room. At present they have different names and passwords.
Can I name/pw them the same so that laptops, phones etc flipflop seamlessly between them depending on the best/strongest signal or will it confuse them?

TIA

Essentially yes. Or at least that's what I did with BT Homehubs at one stage.

Seevio

Guru
Question: I have a Vodafone router in the lounge and a TP Link extender in the back room. At present they have different names and passwords.
Can I name/pw them the same so that laptops, phones etc flipflop seamlessly between them depending on the best/strongest signal or will it confuse them?

TIA

Dunno. But what I do know is that it won't irrevocably break things if you try it and it doesn't work.

A fix for brave souls who are short on disk space on their Windows drive.
Search for fortinmike / reclaim-disk-space.bat on Github. This MUST be run as administrator, so right-click and choose accordingly.
This is extremely agressive, but will likely get your C drive to below 20GB used. You will be unable to roll back any updates installed before running it.
Again, use with caution. A full system image backup is a really good idea before use if you've even the slightest worry.
This made my netbook usable with Windows 11 and 10. It seems to have given a bit of extra oomph to this laptop also, even though I really didn't need to scrimp on disk space really.
To repeat, do all the required updates you need, then make sure they are all working properly. Then, and only then, run the batch file!

Proto

Legendary Member
iMac help advice please.

My wife uses a MacBookPro for work, 2017 model running Monterey. She used it when we were travelling in our van and she loves it. However it has it's limitations in my opinion (screen size, no mouse) and I think she'd be better off with a desktop.

So, I've got a spare iMac, 2012, 500GB SSD, 8GB RAM, running Catalina, which is the newest OS it can legitimately take, and I'm suggesting to her that she takes it over, and works with either as and when necessary.

I've read that there's a patch that allows Monterey to be installed on older machines, but that it's obviously unsupported by Apple, and could potentially have problems.

So, couple of questions. Anyone had experience of running Monterey on an unsupported machine, errors, problems, downside, or has it worked well?

Are there any any issues with her working across two machines if they are running different OS's?

Cheers.

So, couple of questions. Anyone had experience of running Monterey on an unsupported machine, errors, problems, downside, or has it worked well?

Are there any any issues with her working across two machines if they are running different OS's?

Cheers.
From toying around with installing Macos on Pc's i known the main issue is always hardware, so it might be that some hardware your older Imac has won't be supported in Monterey, i remember they switched from onboard Intel graphics to dedicated graphics at some point for example.

.... talking about storage, i have bunged a couple of these in old pc's with sub-320gb old hdd's. Wasn't expecting much, but Windows load up times don't seem that different to 'posh' Samsung pcie SSD in my main machine. No reliability issues either.
https://www.cclonline.com/asu630ss-...MIy_3BuK2e-gIVo4BQBh0xugDtEAQYEyABEgJsBvD_BwE
Even today, you can only cram so much down the processor's throat...

icowden

Veteran
Having deleted every single one of your photos and videos and all your music.
Nope. Those aren't even necessarily on your system partition. The reclaim-diskspace process deletes service back uninstallers, windows rollbacks, images etc. Essentially removing windows stuff that you can live without (usually).

:: Disable Hibernation (removes hiberfil.sys)
:: Remove temp files (will probably log warnings for files that are in use, but will remove lots of things nonetheless)
:: Remove $GetCurrent directory (created during the upgrade process). It contains log files
:: Remove $WINDOWS.~BT (won’t be able to downgrade to the previous build of Windows 10 or previous version of Windows your PC had installed.All existing service packs and updatescannot be uninstalled after this command is completed.
:: remove any backup components needed for uninstallation of the service pack.
:: Remove some more superseded versions
:: Reclaim reserved storage
:: Run the StartComponentCleanup task in Task Scheduler to clean up and compress components
:: Delete \WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\
:: Delete our own Temp directory
:: Delete the Windows Temp directory's content (fills up with evtx files with time)
:: Delete Logitech G Hub caches
:: Delete Windows memory dumps (not useful unless you're having specific problems to diagnose)
:: Possibly reclaim some space from the .NET Native Images
:: Run Disk Cleanup in "System" mode, without displaying the window first

Last edited:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
So, I've got a spare iMac, 2012, 500GB SSD, 8GB RAM, running Catalina, which is the newest OS it can legitimately take, and I'm suggesting to her that she takes it over, and works with either as and when necessary.

I've a couple of iMacs from 2011/12 - I've put Windows 10 on them and they run very nicely.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
currently installing the 'big' Win 11 update, fingers crossed ^_^

Having used Windows since 3.1 and never had an update brick my machine I hope to one day bottle the skill and sell it to the unfortunate .

For some reason computers like working with me , even when a power supply let all the smoke out in one go nothing else was damaged !

Top Bottom