PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All up and running, about 20 minutes start to finish ... new look task manager ... seems my cpu has been given a big overclock? LOL. Don't remember gpu info in the old version either?
1664817331188.png

1664817399102.png

My three Win 11 machines are all technically unsupported, so haven't yet been offered the upgrade. But the scuttlebutt is that they certainly will be, just later on.

Wifi is so easy to use these days. Anyone remember mucking around with all sorts of weird and wonderful bits and pieces with dubious compatibility issues?
View attachment 663973
Still happens sometimes. Wishing to get things up to date and moving a bit more quickly, I bought three TP-Link 802.11AC dongles. They are all easily outperformed by a £2.50 ebay 802.11N adaptor. So much for going for the big names...

As it looks like both my ops will now be encompassed by one longer hospital stay, I decided it was time to start prepping for absolute minimum usable tech to take.
Asus Transformer Vivobook TP200SA, with a Bluetooth mouse. Fresh install of Linux Mint Cinnamon 21, running off a 128GB Samsung Fit USB stick plugged into a 5GB/s port. Should do the trick. Small, weughs next to nothing, good battery life, nice long power lead.
Of course, I could just use my phone, but where's the fun in that? ^_^^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As it looks like both my ops will now be encompassed by one longer hospital stay, I decided it was time to start prepping for absolute minimum usable tech to take.
Asus Transformer Vivobook TP200SA, with a Bluetooth mouse. Fresh install of Linux Mint Cinnamon 21, running off a 128GB Samsung Fit USB stick plugged into a 5GB/s port. Should do the trick. Small, weughs next to nothing, good battery life, nice long power lead.
Of course, I could just use my phone, but where's the fun in that? ^_^^_^

I just took our laptop, and whilst in there upgraded it to SSD, just had the parcels sent home. I was stuck on my back for 6 weeks.

icowden

Veteran
Wifi is so easy to use these days. Anyone remember mucking around with all sorts of weird and wonderful bits and pieces with dubious compatibility issues?
Wifi shmifi!

When I were a lad I remember mucking about with a 2400 baud modem (and my papa mucking about with a 300baud modem) and before that mucking about with a tape deck trying to get the right speed and sound level to load a program!

A bit later on I still had a modem (V56 one) which I used with an HP 96LX that I still have in a drawer somewhere. I used to use it via dial up to hook into Compuserve and read the forums...

Those were the days... but you tell kids now that programmes came in magazines and they look at you like you are mad!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wifi shmifi!

When I were a lad I remember mucking about with a 2400 baud modem (and my papa mucking about with a 300baud modem) and before that mucking about with a tape deck trying to get the right speed and sound level to load a program!

A bit later on I still had a modem (V56 one) which I used with an HP 96LX that I still have in a drawer somewhere. I used to use it via dial up to hook into Compuserve and read the forums...

Those were the days... but you tell kids now that programmes came in magazines and they look at you like you are mad!

Pah...! :whistle:

The first modem I used wasn't even a modem... This was in the pre-Internet days.

We had access to Warwick university's computer but we had to physically take our Algol programs over there on cards which we had punched using a hand punch at school!

You really learn the meaning of 'slow' when you have to share a hand punch with 20 other pupils, wait a week to go over in the school minibus to hand your punched cards to the computer operators, then go back a week later to pick up the cards and a printout usually saying something like 'Syntax error, line 3'! :laugh:
:okay:

Top Bottom