PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, downsizing. Can no longer justify the space and power for a 32GB 10-core monster PC, so my younger son is having it back to use as a game server.
So I now use the i7-2600K with 16GB and a GT1030 graphics card. More than enough. Found an old Radeon HD2400Pro for the server, so when he's collected it, it's ready for his drives and setup.

You can save £££'s by not using pc's at stock settings, with a bit of eco-fettling. I've de-tuned mine to save 150W which should add up over time, quieter as well.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been playing with two PC's today; firstly my Zwift set-up which now has a lovely Philips 23" monitor. All set ready for Zwifting.

Then son no. 2's old PC which I set up with a Dell 24" monitor/speakers/webcam plus additional webcam/microphone for 'spare' office use. I'm currently sharing SWMBO's office (i.e. I'm squatting in it apparently) and this will provide both of us with an alternative.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A question for you PC experts... :whistle:

I have a Lenovo 710s-13isk running Windows 10. It's keyboard is not too bad as far as rubbery laptop ones go. I am, however, not a touch typist so I type looking at the keyboard and occasionally mistype by either double-clicking a key or not clicking hard enough, causing extra or missing letters. It can be annoying. I would like to turn on a key click sound so I can immediately hear when that happens rather than discovering it 30 seconds later when I finally look up at the screen, but I can't find any way to do it. I thought that there would be an entry in the keyboard settings, but no.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Try highlighting this in Settings ... this is Win 11 so Win 10 may be slightly different?
1668013613135.png

ColinJ

Try highlighting this in Settings ... this is Win 11 so Win 10 may be slightly different?
View attachment 667381
I think that is only for on-screen keyboards.
This might help https://www.laptopmag.com/how-to/enable-keyboard-typing-sounds-windows-10

but, I couldn't get it to work on my laptop :smile:
I found that earlier, and it was no use to me either!

I seem to be okay typing until I get tired but then I get a bit clunsy (<--- ha ha - like that) - clumsy, and mistype. (Not that key clicks would help me when hitting the wrong key altogether.)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
By way of random thought as I noticed the thread, can I recommend HK Soundsticks & sub as a premium speaker system. Really very good indeed, and cost very little s/h (£50 for the Bluetooth Mk3 set in my case)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Am I imagining that there was a compact note book mini laptop type thing that had an older version of Windows office that didn't require Internet to use but had email facility if need and a functioning but smaller keyboard? If so ehat brand we're thry and where would I get one?

ColinJ

Am I imagining that there was a compact note book mini laptop type thing that had an older version of Windows office that didn't require Internet to use but had email facility if need and a functioning but smaller keyboard? If so ehat brand we're thry and where would I get one?
Netbooks!

Does it have to be Office, or would any old word processor do?

Somebody gave me one a couple of years back. I can't remember if I left it as a Windows machine or stuck Linux on it... :whistle:

ColinJ

When I used to work for a living, one of the favorite pranks of somebody was to reverse the position of the N and M keys on the keyboard, it was surprising how long it took people to notice.
The one I liked was taking a screenshot of someone's desktop and displaying that full screen on their machine. They would come back from their coffee break and be clicking away on the picture of icons rather than icons themselves, and wondering why nothing was happening! :laugh:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
When I used to work for a living, one of the favorite pranks of somebody was to reverse the position of the N and M keys on the keyboard, it was surprising how long it took people to notice.

My colleague Nartim got very upset with me by the fifth time.

Top Bottom