Pedal for Scotland 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nobody want to meet up at the end?? Fine.

My excuse is..... got to drive home from Glasgow afterwards, thanks to Scotrails wonderful Sunday service. First train from Largs to Glasgow on a Sunday gets into Central station at 9.58 :angry:. And just to make it even less of an option, there are engineering works (again) this weekend, so replacement bus service part of the way. Please; nobody ever try and convince me that public transport is a better option than the car. Must start another thread.... :biggrin:

primalgeek

I'm not sure what my number will be as I've to pick mine up at the start. I'll be easy to spot tho' as I'll be the guy on the Croix de Fer still set up for commuting duties (rack and guards) who is wishing that he had given the commute by bike thing a rest on the Saturday :wacko:. It will be my first event so I am a wee bit apprehensive!

I'm planning on cycling back to Livi from Victoria Park, but don't have a clue how to hook up with my usual route home. I usually go NCN75 from Fountainbridge or continue along the canal until after the Almond aqueduct before going thru the Almonddell country park? Anyone got any route ideas for Victoria Park --> Livi? Or is this an excellent excuse to buy the new Spokes Edinburgh map?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Please; nobody ever try and convince me that public transport is a better option than the car. Must start another thread....

It can be when it works, I mean, when I worked at ...anyway, not the time or place, but needless to say, I was working at a special needs school and all of the kids were picked up by minibus every day and most of the staff (depressingly) drove - I took the train and was one of the few who actually got to work on time every day.... and I had to walk up quite steep hill from the railway station too! (that hill in winter when it was all icy was certainly interesting!).

It just showed how bad the roads were - I could get out and walk and STILL beat the cars!
Accidents and road works were common place, and I remember one morning, most of the kids and staff didn't get in until after 11 am because of an accident!

Imagine the outcry if that was public transport, but because it's on the road it's somehow 'different'.

Pathetic, absolutley pathetic!

Car better than Public transport?? Bwahahahahaaha!! in this case it most certainly was NOT - I think I had about ONE minor incident on the train the entire time I was working there! (how many delays did people using the roads have exactly?).

... And to then add insult to injury, what did we get in the staffroom??
Yep, that's right, discussions about how bad the roads were!! :rolleyes:

HOWEVER, yes, I know the Sunday services are S**T - it's almost as though they think that everyone will be too pissed to move after a Saturday night! (All though on the lines out to Ayrshire, this might not be too far off the button!) :biggrin: .

OP
OP
GlasgowGaryH

GlasgowGaryH

Veteran
Well bike cleaned and mudguards fitted just incase. Will be on Boardman and hoping to start asap after start time. Am number 4597 and give me some support as you pass me as I am out just for a Sunday ride and no record time at finish. I am hoping to make Linlithgow before making a stop. Might see some of you there.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well bike cleaned and mudguards fitted just incase. Will be on Boardman and hoping to start asap after start time. Am number 4597 and give me some support as you pass me as I am out just for a Sunday ride and no record time at finish. I am hoping to make Linlithgow before making a stop. Might see some of you there.

Just watch out for the Cycle Chat Jumper coloured* streak going past, complete with an encouragement in dopler effect (aye right!). :biggrin:

As I say, I'll try and get back to somewhere like Falkirk later on just to mingle with everyone and see what the rest stops have to offer, so if you are stuck somewhere in the middle of it all, who knows, I might just make a guest apperance!

* - I'll wear my blue white and orange long sleeve one, so, in other words, just the same colours as this forum!

OP
OP
GlasgowGaryH

GlasgowGaryH

Veteran
What way are you going from C'lang? I'm in Rutherglen.

I will be going out the back of Cambuslang thru the industrial estate and picking up the A74 London Rd. Cant stand going down Main St as too many traffic lights.

Coco

OK, I'll maybe see you in the green then. Just a bit wary of shouting "Hey Fokker" at someone that might not be you :smile:

OP
OP
GlasgowGaryH

GlasgowGaryH

Veteran
OK, I'll maybe see you in the green then. Just a bit wary of shouting "Hey Fokker" at someone that might not be you :smile:
I have been called far worse in my time
laugh.gif
. I will be the one looking like I should be doing the family ride
Laie_76A.gif

zizou

Veteran
Not sure what my number is yet as ive still to pick it up tomorrow morning but i'll be wearing red, white and black top (although maybe a blue gilet if it feels cool tomorrow) and riding a specialized tarmac. With my saddle bag and hairy legs i guess i qualify under 'all the gear and no idea' about what it is to be a true roadie :biggrin:

Have fun everyone :smile:

Coco

Not sure what my number is yet as ive still to pick it up tomorrow morning  but i'll be wearing red, white and black top (although maybe a blue gilet if it feels cool tomorrow) and  riding a specialized tarmac. With my saddle bag and hairy legs i guess i qualify under 'all the gear and no idea' about what it is to be a true roadie :biggrin:

Have fun everyone :smile:

Me too :smile:

Except I'll have a Red Bianchi, White Helmet, Blue Gilet.

HonestMan1910

Über Member
Bikes loaded into the car, kit set aside, numbers checked (820), dinner eaten, milky coffee in mug, ready to go !

All black kit tomorrow, white helmet, Merida 901 White and Green.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

The tents were all up at Avonbridge when we went by tonight. We covered a lot of the route today, I still can't fathom out why the organiser chooses to send 6000+ people along the Edinburgh path network. When the ride goes along there be careful of the tree roots which are braking through the surface. Good Luck Folks :-)

Top Bottom