Pedal for Scotland 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

My take on it, thoroughly enjoyed it, done the 3 mile family ride with my son, arrived about half 10 and people were still
leaving :ohmy: didn't miss the chaos of last year, met and had a good chat with Mark Beaumont, he commented on how nice my bike was and said he always meant to buy a Bianchi but never got round to it, if anyone buys that toilet paper called the Sun, both me and my son got our picture taken on the start line of the family run with him, told it would be in on Tues, anyway a thoroughly enjoyable day, no mad dash, no queuing at stops just a nice family day out, piccie of my boy at the start, DSC00170.JPG

PS: he did ask me to join him on his next adventure, but i told him there probably wouldn't be enough miles in it for me :biggrin:

Coco

Which one is your son? :smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have tried to reply to as many posts I can here with the multiquote thing, but it keeeps expiring, so I'm pissed off at the retarded computer and am going back off to bed. Speak later

fimm

Veteran
... I still can't fathom out why the organiser chooses to send 6000+ people along the Edinburgh path network...

I went out and back along the path and through Kirkliston on Saturday - it took me a while to work out what the "caution cyclists" signs must be about. I was very glad I wasn't trying to go out of town while everyone was coming in... As for why, I'm going to enter cynic mode and suggest that bunging all the cyclists on the cycle path inconveniences fewer precious motorists, and means that the organisers don't have to use resources to stop/direct traffic...

We saw a few people heading in on the 100 miler later in the afternoon.

Coco

Is there only one way in to/out of Edinburgh on a bike? I still don't understand why people attempt to come out on the path when 9000 people are heading in the opposite direction. I understand it even less when some of those people have just finished the event.

fimm

Veteran
Is there only one way in to/out of Edinburgh on a bike? I still don't understand why people attempt to come out on the path when 9000 people are heading in the opposite direction.
Because they didn't know that there were going to be 9000 cyclists coming the other way? Not everyone is a follower of cycling websites...
I understand it even less when some of those people have just finished the event.
Yes, that does seem a little harder to understand - but if you don't know another route, you may decide to go back the way you came. It is a good way to get out of Edinburgh in that direction, I use it if I'm going that way, and I don't normally use cycle paths.

OP
OP
GlasgowGaryH

GlasgowGaryH

Veteran
There was a bit where the road came to a "T" junction. Across the road was an entrance to a path. Was not too bad when I got there with about 3 others. Can imagine must of been fun later in day all funnelling thru in single file.

Coco

Because they didn't know that there were going to be 9000 cyclists coming the other way? Not everyone is a follower of cycling websites...

That's just down to poor organising if there aren't signs to warn people. As a regular commuter through Glasgow Green, there are always plenty of signs posted on running/cycling event routes and nearby streets.

There was a bit where the road came to a "T" junction. Across the road was an entrance to a path. Was not too bad when I got there with about 3 others. Can imagine must of been fun later in day all funnelling thru in single file.

That's my 'favourite' bit.

zizou

Veteran
saw it as well on the way home, just going under the flightpath as it was taking off...an awesome sight

sandman77

This was my first PFS and I had the most enjoyable day. The section between Avonbridge and Linlithgow was my favourite, nice and quiet country twisty roads and quite a bit of downhill sections to build up some speed.
It was also my longest ride to date so am quite happy with myself. My total cycling time was 3hrs 5mins (although total trip time was closer to 4.5 hours).

I saw one person falling off his bike but he wasnt injured and I must have seen half a dozen or more people fixing punctures along the route.

I handed in a pair of sunglasses at Drumpellier that I found on the ground. Not sure what make they were (might have been oakleys).

big al

My first PfS and a very enjoyable 51 mile ride. I only stopped once at the Linlithgow food station to find delicious cold milk, a good range of food, hot coffee etc etc. There was a little band playing which created a great atmosphere.

There were one or two glitches transitioning from one section of the route to another but nothing that a bit of patience couldn’t deal with. The last section was a bit narrow but slowing down to a sensible speed was all that was required.

Met a lot of very nice people along the way and ended with an Angus steak burger and excellent strong coffee from the food stalls at the finish.

Probably try the 100 mile next year.

JimtheScot

My take on it, thoroughly enjoyed it, done the 3 mile family ride with my son, arrived about half 10 and people were still
leaving :ohmy: didn't miss the chaos of last year, met and had a good chat with Mark Beaumont, he commented on how nice my bike was and said he always meant to buy a Bianchi but never got round to it, if anyone buys that toilet paper called the Sun, both me and my son got our picture taken on the start line of the family run with him, told it would be in on Tues, anyway a thoroughly enjoyable day, no mad dash, no queuing at stops just a nice family day out, piccie of my boy at the start, [attachment=852:biggrin:SC00170.JPG]

PS: he did ask me to join him on his next adventure, but i told him there probably wouldn't be enough miles in it for me :biggrin:

awesome pic Jim. Saw Mark Beaumont and Greame Obree at the start also.

I did the 100 mile sportive witht Brian, Norman, Peter and John Foster. Saw Bob ( you know with the Van Nicholas ) going in the opposite direction heading up to the start after we were on our way. Met Andrew ( the guy about 24 yrs old red hair and beard, was a merchant seaman) half way round. The sun shone for most of the run. No accidents. Had a great day. Found this 100 miles a lot easier than the Trossach Ton. Managed to get round in 6 hours 30mins, cycling time. Only hassle was meeting up with the 50 milers near the end, so many of them and couldn't get past, but it didn't spoil the day. Can't wait for the next challange.

Top Bottom