Pedals and shoes .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Wonder if any serious cyclists used the two bolt MTB system? I do and think why change when it's money I don't really need to spend.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Clipless better for me as keeps foot in right place and stops me pedalling on arch rather than ball of foot. My foot spec agrees as it's likely I have midfoot arthritis :sad: I need to get out of the habit of doing this when setting off and before clipping in
Yeah, I think that would count as a good motivation. Not that anyone needs my permission. :smile:

Wonder if any serious cyclists used the two bolt MTB system? I do and think why change when it's money I don't really need to spend.

Loads of road cyclists use 2 bolt spd cleats. I use them on my commuting bike.
I prefer the feeling of spd-sl when clipped in - there are a tad more difficult to get in and out of but not much. I switched over to SPD/SL to try and cure my hot feet - only with partial success ! I found gel feet pads helped with this...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Myself and most people I ride with and who do some serious mileages use use MTB SPD
I've tried both over the years and I never noticed any difference. The reason I changed over to MTB is that the cleats last for years rather then months and I got fed up of having to put on cleat covers to walk anywhere.
Also MTB shoes these day's have just as stiff soles as their road shoe counterparts.

If you are a roadie and want all the gear and feel you have to 'fit in' then get road pedals and cleats and if they work for you then great..
If you just don't care then get and use what ever system you like.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4922368, member: 45"]That's not my experience. It's so little of a problem that I don't even notice whether the bike has single or double sided when I'm on it.[/QUOTE]
I did say IMO, YMMV. I found A600s dreadful and even had quite a nasty tumble as a result of not being able to clip in as the clip was always hanging down. Much easier for me to be able to clip in either side

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Myself and most people I ride with and who do some serious mileages use use MTB SPD
I've tried both over the years and I never noticed any difference. The reason I changed over to MTB is that the cleats last for years rather then months and I got fed up of having to put on cleat covers to walk anywhere.
Also MTB shoes these day's have just as stiff soles as their road shoe counterparts.

If you are a roadie and want all the gear and feel you have to 'fit in' then get road pedals and cleats and if they work for you then great..
If you just don't care then get and use what ever system you like.
These don't look 'out of place' on a roadbike,

shimano-a520-spd-touring-pedals-00102798-9999-1.jpg

Shimano A520.

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy pedals you personally like the aesthetic of then :rolleyes: if it's that much of an issue for you

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I have the above on my road bike , sometimes I nip over the shop on my bike just in shorts tee and trainers they are perfect .. and I don't give two hoots on the aesthetic side I think they look real good ..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Gcn did an article SPD Vs SPD SL
Upshot was unless you're a pro putting out the power and your after the micro % marginal gain there's not enough difference in efficiency for mere mortals to worry about .Shimano made SPD to compete with the original look 3 bolt system afaik.
I prefer SPD because I have a good walk from the bike sheds and I only want to use one system.
As @ianruk says plenty of cyclsts do serious mileage with SPD,did my 1st century this year and it was legs not my feet that felt it.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
If I have any walking to do, round to the garage to get the bike out or if nipping into Aldi I have these
upload_2017-8-18_16-14-10.png

They probably protect cleats as well.

Jason

Are the m520 pedals not designed for mtb. Or both road and mtb

I have them on my roadie ,29'er and pub bike - easy as pie to get used to and means I don't have to faff about with multiple shoes.
longest distance covered with SPD's =110 miles

Last edited:
Top Bottom