Pedals and shoes .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
I Will looking to purchase some sort of clipless pedals and shoes . Don't know where to start to be honest not having used clipless before . Something not too expensive or super light , anyone have any recommendations what would be a good starting point for a beginner. Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to some shops, try and buy the ones that feel best. As with all shoes it's crucial to get ones that fit and are comfortable. Note cycling shoes often come up small and/or narrow, you may need to size up

Have you read the clipless FAQ in the beginner section to understand the differences in the systems available? The 3 Bolt 'Road' type versus the 2 Bolt MTB/touring type

Cheers vickster will have a look at it .
THIS is the FAQ thingy that Vickster referred to :okay:

Some say road bikes should use a certain type pedal and MTB's something else I say pish and tosh, use what you're comfortable with.

Rule of thumb, if you'll be doing any walking off the bike in the shoes stick to SPD or similar, (recessed cleat and slightly more flex in the sole), if not you may prefer something like SPD-R, but bear in mind they're not good to walk in.

I use both, and each are easy to get on with IME, but when your starting out the SPD are easier to clip in with as the pedals tend to be double sided, whereas the SPD-R have a slight knack to them, but it's really not hard.

SPD cleat on the left............................................................SPD-R cleat on the right
cleats.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up that . So now thinking spd . Will have a look about the shops and see what they have . Cheers
If you get pedals with adjustable tension and you're a bit worried about the whole thing, just back them off to their lowest tension, lean against a wall while sitting on the bike and just practice clipping and unclipping, but be sure to set an appropriate tension before riding. Too low and you could pull out of the pedal, too high and you won't be able to unclip when you need to, or perhaps ever :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Are the m520 pedals not designed for mtb. Or both road and mtb
I have them on 3 road bikes. They can be used on any bike...not sure about a unicycle. They are for use with 2 bolt SPD cleats

Rule of thumb, if you'll be doing any walking off the bike in the shoes stick to SPD or similar, (recessed cleat and slightly more flex in the sole), if not you may prefer something like SPD-SL, but bear in mind they're not good to walk in.

I use both, and each are easy to get on with IME, but when your starting out the SPD are easier to clip in with as the pedals tend to be double sided, whereas the SPD-SL have a slight knack to them, but it's really not hard.

SPD cleat on the left............................................................SPD-SL cleat on the right
View attachment 368353
FTFY.
SPD-R is the now-defunct system, replaced by SPD-SL.

hepburn

I wholeheartedly agree with checking the tension on the SPD-SL. I've just had a rather nasty clipless moment when I didn't bother checking what tension my new pedals had been set up with (never occurred to me in fact :blush:) . If it's set at the loosest point your foot won't slip out but will be easy to remove when you need to at junctions etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with in the end. I don't regret it despite being black and blue at the moment.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
One word of advice: grease the cleat fixing bolts then do them up effing tight. This is an old English engineering term, that means extremely tight. If they work loose the cleats will rotate and you won't be able to unclip. The grease will help you to undo them when replacement time comes up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm sure I read about "SPD-SL LA" recently, which are marketed as easier to clip out of.

I'm still not going to use them or go back to any sort of clips and think it's a bit mad unless you've a particular reason for it, such as racing or recumbents. The "FAQ" answer to "Should I go clipless?" contains the usual myth about "power advantages" and doesn't mention the serious drawback of damaging the bike (or the rider) in clipless moments.

Edit: @mickle posted an excerpt covering the drawbacks in much more detail, but it's buried down the thread and not been added to the FAQ yet.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sure I read about "SPD-SL LA" recently, which are marketed as easier to clip out of.

I'm still not going to use them or go back to any sort of clips and think it's a bit mad unless you've a particular reason for it, such as racing or recumbents. The "FAQ" answer to "Should I go clipless?" contains the usual myth about "power advantages" and doesn't mention the serious drawback of damaging the bike (or the rider) in clipless moments.

Edit: @mickle posted an excerpt covering the drawbacks in much more detail, but it's buried down the thread and not been added to the FAQ yet.

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-oe-r540-light-action-spd-sl-road-pedal-black-EV209921?

Yep. With single sided pedals of the road or MTB ilk, it's the clipping in not out that is the pita in my experience

And +1 for making bolts super tight...a loose one resulted in my only clipless moment as couldn't get foot out of pedal

Clipless better for me as keeps foot in right place and stops me pedalling on arch rather than ball of foot. My foot spec agrees as it's likely I have midfoot arthritis :sad: I need to get out of the habit of doing this when setting off and before clipping in

Top Bottom