Pedals and shoes .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
heres my bike with A600s if your concerned with a "roadie " look i think they are close enough .
IMG_20170528_122554608[1].jpg

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Well I done a bit of shopping thismorning came home with these . Got them at a nice price too .
15031510014051903796337.jpg

hepburn

They're similar to mine. Think I have the PDR550 but they aren't the light action ones. I hope you get on well with them. Before I went out for the first time with mine I looked at a few videos on YouTube that some kindly cyclists had put on (filming their feet clipping in and out!) I found it a help but before I knew it I was doing it automatically. To start with, actually think well in advance when you're coming up to a junction that you're going to need to unclip. It is easy to forget!

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Well folks I was able to get out on the bike with the new shoes on .
Had a few min practice clipping in and out up against the wall before I started .
I had a moment lol , I fell of at the top of the street going on to the main road. I uncliped ok it was starting off what did it .must have been because I near came to a stop as the start of the main road is up hill . Didn't get hurt or the bike tho which was good .
Really glad I changed to clipless and could feel the difference from the off . After a few junctions i seemed to get the hang of uncliping and cliping in agian but Now I think I've upset my saddle height with the change, I felt the knees getting sore so ile lift the saddle a small bit to see how it feels on next ride . But realy pleased

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well folks I was able to get out on the bike with the new shoes on .
Had a few min practice clipping in and out up against the wall before I started .
I had a moment lol , I fell of at the top of the street going on to the main road. I uncliped ok it was starting off what did it .must have been because I near came to a stop as the start of the main road is up hill . Didn't get hurt or the bike tho which was good .
Really glad I changed to clipless and could feel the difference from the off . After a few junctions i seemed to get the hang of uncliping and cliping in agian but Now I think I've upset my saddle height with the change, I felt the knees getting sore so ile lift the saddle a small bit to see how it feels on next ride . But realy pleased
you've raised the 'Stack height' on your pedals, the seat will need to go up.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
White's a bad colour for cycling shoes imo. They look nice until the first wet ride and then you may just as well have bought black in the first place.

All this nonsense about 'the road bike look' is beyond me. I use SPD's on my road bike and if I had an urge to waste time contemplating the matter I'm pretty sure I'd conclude that the aesthetics are not compromised.

Mind you, some people think the world has come to an end simply because you have a saddle bag on your road bike... :rolleyes:

vickster

Legendary Member
White's a bad colour for cycling shoes imo. They look nice until the first wet ride and then you may just as well have bought black in the first place.

All this nonsense about 'the road bike look' is beyond me. I use SPD's on my road bike and if I had an urge to waste time contemplating the matter I'm pretty sure I'd conclude that the aesthetics are not compromised.

Mind you, some people think the world has come to an end simply because you have a saddle bag on your road bike... :rolleyes:
But feel it's ok to stuff their jersey pockets with so much stuff that they look like Quasimodo with a saggy lumpy hump :laugh:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, @Trigger369, wondering whether to go clipless and which ones to get. When I bought a new bike, a mate told me to ignore advice from people who recommended SPD and that SPD-SL was the better option, so I took his advice. A couple of months later, I acquired another bike, but because of the awkwardness of walking in SPD-SL shoes, I went for SPD. I prefer SPD, simply because they involve less messing about, it is true that you can get covers, but it is even easier to just put your shoes on and not have to think about covers.

Who cares about aesthetics? As I shopped around for pedals and shoes, I called into an Evans store and spoke to one of the staff who really tried to discourage me from putting SPD on a road bike, saying he would ever do so because of the detrimental effect on aerodynamics. I felt like asking him if I really looked like Chris Froome, you know, late 50s, four eyes, grey hair, beer induced plumpness? Each to their own, if you want the real roadie look and stuff, and you want to maximise your aerodynamics etc, fair play to you, but I'm built for comfort, not speed and SPD is more convenient for me. I am soon going to take off the SPD-SL pedals I have on one bike and replace them with SPD and try to flog my SL shoes and pedals on eBay.

One note of caution though, as Globalti says in #12 above, make sure the cleats are really tight, I didn't tighten mine up enough at first and exactly what Globalti says can happen, happened to me, I had to take the shoe off and the only way I could remove it from the pedal was sheer force.

rivers

How far can I go?
I've got spds on both of my bikes (m520 and m530). I'm faster than some people, and I'm slower than some people. Pedal type won't change that. Get whatever you feel like.

One thing to bear in mind that lets a say a two hour ride - you may clip in and out 3 times - not nearly enough practice. Go out for session where you do nothing but clip in and out - ideally master clipping in on a hill.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I felt the knees getting sore so ile lift the saddle a small bit to see how it feels on next ride.

Another warning: be VERY careful that your feet are clipped to the pedals in their natural posture otherwise you will be forcing your knee joints to work with a torsional twist on them and knee pain will happen very soon indeed. Bear in mind that your legs are now fixed to a machine with very little movement possible. Even if your feet are trying to twist outwards and coming up gently against the limit of play of the cleats, there is a small twisting moment on the knee joints. If, like me, your natural foot posture (as seen if you sit on a table and allow your legs to dangle) is quite toe-out, you might experience heel-strike with certain frames. I dealt with this at first by using 1 mm pedal washers then later by buying Shimano SPD-SL pedals with 4mm extended spindles: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-spd-sl-4mm-road-pedals/rp-prod145812

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I hate to let one of these threads go without comment so, there are some great pedals that, incredibly:-

work with any footwear you want
come in a variety of styles, colours and materials
allow you to ride without fancy dress
level of grip can be selected, all the way up to pins
they make clipless moments impossible and, as it's been scientifically proven falling off is dangerous rather than 'lol', this is often seen as a good thing
they eradicate knee/foot pain due to cleat alignment
on long rides you can vary your foot position for extra comfort
when off the bike there is no requirement to walk like a duck, though you can if you still want to

Oh and anyone that tells you the difference between flats/clipless is night and day and will improve your riding ability/experience beyond your wildest dreams, well they're either deluded or lying.

vickster

Legendary Member
One thing to bear in mind that lets a say a two hour ride - you may clip in and out 3 times - not nearly enough practice. Go out for session where you do nothing but clip in and out - ideally master clipping in on a hill.
It's about every 5 minutes on my typical rides! Even if I do manage to find traffic free rides, I certainly stop more often than 3 times every 2 hours. I'm not a pro!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
I was clipping in and out every 5 min myself over the 1hr ride . Slowing down a bit comming to traffic lights and junctions so I didn't have to unclip but just uncliped anyway just incase .soon got the hang of it . Not saying im a pro now but it wasn't too bad at all

Top Bottom