Pedals/cleats causing pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
A bit of advice needed re pedals/cleats and foot pain....

I'm a cycle commuter on a road bike, and have been using SPD pedals/cleats for quite a few years. I ride around 2500 miles per year in and around London.

Recently, my left foot has started to get pretty sore to the left of the ball of my foot around the small bones. It feels like the cleat pressing into my foot may be causing inflammation. There's not much room to adjust the cleat position as it'll affect my pedalling, so I'm weighing up options.

I could try fabricating some padding for the inside of my shoe(s), or, I was going to try changing to SPD SL pedals which appear to spread the load more, as they're flatter. (I also wonder whether they're easier to clip into in traffic versus SPDs, as they have a greater area).

Any thoughts welcome...

seraphina

How old are your shoes? Is the padding/support wearing thin?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
SPD-SLD are an acquired taste for commuting. I forced myself to switch to using them for commutes as well as leisure riding. So I am now used to them and can interchange shoes and bikes without worrying about compatibility. I think they are slightly more comfortable and less likley to give pain from hotspots and so on but that's more of an issue with longer rides, particularly in hot weather. If your feet swell or the shoes are a little tight this is going to case pain. You have to be careful when clipping in if it's wet though... had a couple of 'incidents' when you think you're clipped in and are not and then apply power when lights change green. Can be painful on the shins and dangerous if you can't recover quickly to stay composed! That being said I am happy to ride them vs SPD for all riding types. It's a personal choice though and doesn't suit everybody. Stiff soled shoes that fit properly should negate most discomfort, really... regardless of which cleat sytem you are using. I just prefer SPD-SL.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
I've also had a few hairy moments clipping into SPDs and then slipping off as it hadn't clipped in properly. I find that their small surface area means I'm adjusting my foot "searching for the sweet spot" to clip in. I always assumed SPD SLs would be easier to clip in? And if they could reduce foot pain, all the better.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get some Specialized footbeds, see if that helps. Or some new shoes with a stiffer sole

Do you have double sided SPD pedals? They are much easier (IMO) than single sided (which is what the SPD-SL would be). Get some M520s, easy once you have muscle memory. Judging my the number of cyclists I see struggling to clip in on SPD-SLs, they certainly don't look easier!

Also, do you have to walk anywhere much off the bike? If so, stick with the recessed SPDs.

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Could it be that your cleats wore off?

Did you change them recently? And maybe is not the set up you had before? (a few mm can create new pains)

MTB pedals FTW while commuting... My opinion.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
Get some Specialized footbeds, see if that helps. Or some new shoes with a stiffer sole

Do you have double sided SPD pedals? They are much easier (IMO) than single sided (which is what the SPD-SL would be). Get some M520s, easy once you have muscle memory. Judging my the number of cyclists I see struggling to clip in on SPD-SLs, they certainly don't look easier!

Also, do you have to walk anywhere much off the bike? If so, stick with the recessed SPDs.

Good call re the Specialized footbeds. Will give them a try. Thx.

I do walk a wee bit to get my coffee :smile: and I know it isn't ideal as I can feel the cleats digging in.

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
Could it be that your cleats wore off?

Did you change them recently? And maybe is not the set up you had before? (a few mm can create new pains)

MTB pedals FTW while commuting... My opinion.

I'm not aware that the cleats have moved but will certainly double check.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good call re the Specialized footbeds. Will give them a try. Thx.

I do walk a wee bit to get my coffee :smile: and I know it isn't ideal as I can feel the cleats digging in.
Sounds like you need footbeds and/or new shoes

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It could be that the soles of your shoes aren't terribly rigid. There's no real point in using SPD cleats unless you have a recessed sole, MTB or touring fashion.

Top Bottom