Pedals not requiring an 8mm Allen key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
My indoor bike has some awkward to get cranks means that fitting pedals with an 8mm Allen key can be a right pain so what decent pedal can I buy that just needs a spanner? The ones I have on the bike are Shimano XTR MTB, great pedals but hard to put on.
Thanks.

newts

Veteran
Shimano m520 have flats for a spanner. These pedals are cheap & reliable.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just out of curiosity, and not at all disagreeing, but what makes allen key pedals unsuitable or undesirable for your cranks?

I prefer them personally but do have some top quality t bar allen keys and socket set allen keys as I suspect they'd be a devil to remove with the little L-shaped keys

Just out of curiosity, and not at all disagreeing, but what makes allen key pedals unsuitable or undesirable for your cranks?

I prefer them personally but do have some top quality t bar allen keys and socket set allen keys as I suspect they'd be a devil to remove with the little L-shaped keys

Even with a good socket-set, it's MUCH easier to get at the pedal part that is "out-board" of the cranks. Basically, the bike is no longer in the way!
EDIT: it's much easier even just putting the things on using the 15mm flats. You basically just spin the cranks (having checked you're going in the right direction. Twice.) No gymnastics required, no workstand etc.

I owned some allen-key-only pedal for quite a while in ignorant bliss ... until the day I regretted it! :P

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Lack of a decent hex key eh !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My indoor bike has some awkward to get cranks means that fitting pedals with an 8mm Allen key can be a right pain

this makes no sense, any crank in the forward lower part of the rotation will have full access to the allen bolt head on the reverse of the pedal.

I get that stiff pedal is easier to remove with a decent pedal spanner. fitting one I find way easier with the allen key from the reverse as you can easily tell its sat "straight" in the threads.

I get that stiff pedal is easier to remove with a decent pedal spanner. fitting one I find way easier with the allen key from the reverse as you can easily tell its sat "straight" in the threads.

Well removal is usually the hardest part - I'm more worried about doing THAT bit easily.

As for fitting without cross-threading; good point, but I almost always start them off by hand. Choice of tool doesn't really come into it. (but isn't it nicer to have the choice??)

Top Bottom