Pedestrian looking at phone hit by cyclist gets compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
All the free advertising she has gotten as every news article mentions it.

She might be regretting some of it.

From How did it go - Running and Yoga 26K:
"The Chamonix valley sits at the foot of Mt Blanc which provides a stunning backdrop to this introduction to mountain trails combined with relaxing yoga sessions following each run. On this holiday we provide a 2 half-day running adventure break combined with yoga led by Gemma Brushett, aimed at yogis looking to discover trail running, co-led by Karen Gill (www.irunlikeagirl.org.uk) in the mountains for the first time, as well as more experienced runners looking for a spot of comfort whilst pursuing their passion for running and yoga."

Contained (as of last night) only one review:
"Cyclist

Did the 26k over 2 Days in 2019
Make sure you don’t knock Gemma over, she’ll sue you. It’s unbelievable that’s she was in the wrong, by not paying attention and has now bankrupt a poor bloke."

The review has now been removed, as well as any mention of the lady's name on the website.

I suspect she is now coming to an understanding of what a Pyrrhic victory is.

I think people are becoming too complacent and not looking where they are going .
A chap in his 70's crossed a road right in front of me yesterday without even lifting his eyes from the prescripion he was looking at . He only noticed me when he looked behind to see me drive past him .
What chances will these people have when electric and autonomous vehicles become the norm ?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I think people are becoming too complacent and not looking where they are going .
A chap in his 70's crossed a road right in front of me yesterday without even lifting his eyes from the prescripion he was looking at . He only noticed me when he looked behind to see me drive past him .
What chances will these people have when electric and autonomous vehicles become the norm ?

No need to worry - when autonomous emergency braking and pedestrian avoidance becomes prevelant, people will be able to wander about without paying attention even more, safe in the knowledge that the car will stop. Probably.

No need to worry - when autonomous emergency braking and pedestrian avoidance becomes prevelant, people will be able to wander about without paying attention even more, safe in the knowledge that the car will stop. Probably.
Where I see it breaking down is when they design the sotware to suit different countries views on Jaywalking. If it is designed for countries where the laws are applied it will assume that people will behave predictably and not suddenly leap out without warning .
I have noticed that some people have adopted a new technique for crossing on Zebra crossings . Walk casualy along the pavement as if you are continuing straight on, without so much as a glance over your shoulder suddenly leap onto the crossing ! :angry:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I find it hard to understand how this judge is a cycling expert. Were other experts called to give evidence? Who decides appropriate speed, reactions by sounding the horn, swerving around the obstacle etc?

How much of a Cycling Expert does one need to be to understand that one shouldn't ride one's bike into a person (even an annoying person), and that if one does, one ought to answer for it? [Sorry about all the 'ones' - I sound like the farking queen]. This is a fairly depressing thread, with the majority of people swallowing a load of Dail Mail divide-and-rule propaganda. That sh*trag is biased against the pedestrian, not the cyclist, in this instance. Hence the extremely temporary BTL 'support' for the cyclist, and the 'yoga teacher' characterisation. See also 'phone zombie', 'snowflake' etc. We should stand up for pedestrians, not run them down - they are on the frontline here. This isn't an opinion on the costs, which do sound excessive. Good on @nickyboy and a few others for sticking up for streets as social space.

bigjim

Legendary Member
How much of a Cycling Expert does one need to be to understand that one shouldn't ride one's bike into a person (even an annoying person),
I didn't realize that he deliberately rode into her. I thought he tried to avoid her and she stepped back into him. or his path. Apologies, my mistake. I don't know if she is annoying or not, I've never met her.

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ me too. I thought she wandered out in to the road while looking at her phone and he did his best to avoid her but failed when she heard his airhorn and stepped backwards.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I didn't realize that he deliberately rode into her. I thought he tried to avoid her and she stepped back into him. or his path. Apologies, my mistake. I don't know if she is annoying or not, I've never met her.
He didn't
Mr Hazeldean had come through a green traffic light, and had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his bike, as well as shouting, swerving and braking in a bid to avoid the pedestrian - but ploughed into her at up to 15mph.

PK99

Legendary Member
^^^ me too. I thought she wandered out in to the road while looking at her phone and he did his best to avoid her but failed when she heard his airhorn and stepped backwards.

I'm sure we have all seen the you tube vids of AirZoundMan blasting his horn at full blast in a "Get Out Of My Farking Way" manner - Lewis AKA "son of the winds" was a classic example. I'm guessing, but that is what the Cyclist who criticised most likely meant. Yes the lady was daft, but to ride at that speed, in that area, with that number of pedestrians around was poor cycling form.

Also a warning, horn or bell, normally prompts either stop or retreat, to aim for a gap that was likely to narrow was very poor cycling.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I'm sure we have all seen the you tube vids of AirZoundMan blasting his horn at full blast in a "Get Out Of My Farking Way" manner - Lewis AKA "son of the winds" was a classic example. I'm guessing, but that is what the Cyclist who criticised most likely meant. Yes the lady was daft, but to ride at that speed, in that area, with that number of pedestrians around was poor cycling form.

Also a warning, horn or bell, normally prompts either stop or retreat, to aim for a gap that was likely to narrow was very poor cycling.
And stepping into the road without looking was very poor pedestrianing. I learned not to do that in infancy. "Stop, look both ways, wait for a gap and then cross". Its not rocket science. Even kids can do it. If this young woman had there wouldn't have even been an accident.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Call me old-fashioned, but I think we shouldn't ride into people, deliberately or not. It's a bit annoying when people pay zero attention, because it puts more onus on everyone else - it doesn't justify knocking them over tho. The stepping back thing is entirely foreseeable, and arguably caused by his use of the airhorn.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
btw was her drink ok? The phone zombies around here usually have a phone in one hand and a drink bottle (or coffee) in the other.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
And stepping into the road without looking was very poor pedestrianing. I learned not to do that in infancy. "Stop, look both ways, wait for a gap and then cross". Its not rocket science. Even kids can do it. If this young woman had there wouldn't have even been an accident.
It's all part of the endless campaign to teach people to get out of the way of cars. I see it's worked on you.

Top Bottom