Pedestrian looking at phone hit by cyclist gets compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I renewed my home insurance last week and I unticked the legal protection option :sad:
There is no certainty that legal protection is the same as 3rd party liability

Reactions: C R

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not sure we know what speed he was doing
My question is should a cyclist modify their speed in the knowledge that there are plenty of phone zombies around who may step out onto the road?
Or should a cyclist ride at whatever speed they like (be that slow or fast) regardless?
And if it's agreed that maybe a cyclist should modify their speed in these circumstance is it not the case that failure to do so means the cyclist has some responsibility in any ensuing accident?

Johnno260

Veteran
My question is should a cyclist modify their speed in the knowledge that there are plenty of phone zombies around who may step out onto the road?
Or should a cyclist ride at whatever speed they like (be that slow or fast) regardless?
And if it's agreed that maybe a cyclist should modify their speed in these circumstance is it not the case that failure to do so means the cyclist has some responsibility in any ensuing accident?

The ruling said 50/50% share of responsibility, he had 4 witnesses saying she was at fault, she had 1 witness, that it equates to 100k in costs if she is equally responsible?

People should cycle as per the situation sure, but he had the green light and she stepped into the road without looking, it's why we teach our children to look and listen before stepping into the road.

This is why I gave my number to a driver recently, some dozy muppet ran into the road while he was turning right, she ran straight into the side of his car, he was stationary waiting for a gap in the traffic, she knocked her self onto the floor and was screaming at the driver that it was his fault, I can see a self entitled little snowflake like that seeing this story and attempt to sue the driver for her stupidity.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I find it hard to understand how this judge is a cycling expert. Were other experts called to give evidence? Who decides appropriate speed, reactions by sounding the horn, swerving around the obstacle etc?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Give them a ring - they'll let you add it back on.
Changing my policy will probably cost me more than the £35 CTC want :smile:
And, like Phaeton said, legal protection may not include the actual damages

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Is anyone else annoyed that most of the press reports about this case refer to Gemma Brushett as a yoga teacher. She may run a few yoga classes on the side, but her principle employment seems to be working for a 'financial institution' in the city. Is that a bank? Bit vague isn't it after being so specific on the cyclists job as a landscape designer.

If the press had said 'banker' I think they feel she would have received less sympathy, so the entire story seems to be have been deliberately worded to cast the cyclist in a bad light and not the pedestrian. And most of the reports I've seen make no mention at all about her job for a financial institution. It seems very biased reporting to me.

It seems like they may as well have gone the whole hog and added animal lover and part time charity worker Ms Brushett was crashed into by tattooed death metal fan Mr Hazeldean......

Last edited:
Top Bottom