Pedestrian looking at phone hit by cyclist gets compensation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
It's a shame he didn't counterclaim against her for stepping into his path. It does reinforce the wisdom of having insurance.

D

Deleted member 26715

But if he had been insured and launched a counter claim, Ms Brushett would have been only allowed to claim £7,000 in costs.
Not sure I understand this quote from the report, does it mean that by simply issuing a counterclaim there would be limited liability but only if insured.

Smudge

Veteran
Soon, you will need insurance when walking, just in case you bump into someone.
She has only gained a paltry £4K in pursuing this, but in the process has ruined someone financially.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I frequently have near misses with pedestrians when I cycle into town (a lot of them seem to be stoned).
Can anybody recommend a cycling insurance company? My bike isn't worth much so I just need Third Party.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So you think that just because you act like a complete idiot when out on the street that everyone else should watch out for you because you are too stupid & irresponsible to take care of your own safety?
How about doing what normal sensible people do when they want to read a map; stop walking, stand still, get your bearings, put the map/phone away, then start walking again?
To provide the contra-argument, do you think it is reasonable for a cyclist to ride as fast as they like when they know there are lots of idiots around who may step out into the road?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not sure I understand this quote from the report, does it mean that by simply issuing a counterclaim there would be limited liability but only if insured.
If that is the case, he's been badly advised by his lawyers. I note no figure has yet been put on costs, that is just her parasite lawyers milking it with a big claim. 2 day court hearing shouldn't be £100k in fees.

D

Deleted member 26715

To provide the contra-argument, do you think it is reasonable for a cyclist to ride as fast as they like when they know there are lots of idiots around who may step out into the road?
Not sure we know what speed he was doing

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If that is the case, he's been badly advised by his lawyers. I note no figure has yet been put on costs, that is just her parasite lawyers milking it with a big claim. 2 day court hearing shouldn't be £100k in fees.

He did not get a lawyer until it was too late.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I frequently have near misses with pedestrians when I cycle into town (a lot of them seem to be stoned).
Can anybody recommend a cycling insurance company? My bike isn't worth much so I just need Third Party.

British Cycling membership includes TP legal cover at most grades.
Roughly £35/year and if you don't get that and more back from the various freebies and discount deals offered as part of the membership I'd be surprised. :okay:

Check though as you might already have legal protection through your house insurance - just make sure it covers you while cycling.

Johnno260

Veteran
British Cycling membership includes TP legal cover at most grades.
Roughly £35/year and if you don't get that and more back from the various freebies and discount deals offered as part of the membership I'd be surprised. :okay:

Check though as you might already have legal protection through your house insurance - just make sure it covers you while cycling.

This! I soon as I started racking up more miles I signed up. and the discounts more than paid for it.

Top Bottom