Pedestrians & earphones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyingfish

Keeps her off the streets

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you walk past somebody do you "shout PEDESTRIAN quite loudly"? If not, why is it ok for cyclists?
No, I say "Excuse me, could I get past, please?" with increasing volume until it gets a reply.

Not that you see many people walking any more. They've been scared away from most transport routes by unfettered motor traffic.

Isn't it fair to expect sharing of a SHARED path?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
On the shared paths I always slow right down, tinkle my bell or give a verbal alert. If they don't seem to hear me I just wait til theres's enough space to pass with a wide berth, but sometimes you will still cause a startle no matter how slow and wide you pass.

+1

After my off last year following an encounter with an errant runner, I never cycle past a pedestrian who can't see me without first warning him/her that I'm about to do so. If it's clear that they can't hear my bell or my normal voice because they're wearing headphones, I'll adjust my volume accordingly!

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Why are some of you guys giving the op such a hard time?
He tried to alert the dog walker of his presence but the walker had headphones on and couldn't hear him......i think it would be safe to say the dog walker was probably too engrossed in listening to his music or e-book to reallise what was going on around him. The op did what he could to alert the guy then shouted cyclist which obviously woke the walker up from his tauper and made him take notice.
It would have been a totally different scenario had the op continued to cycle past the walker only to startle him and cause him to stumble into the path of the bike potentially injuring the cyclist and the walker not to mention the walkers dog.
it seems to be getting more and more common that people are wearing headphones whilst walking, i have even witnesed drivers wearing them and i almost knocked a cyclist off his bike a couple of years ago when he decided to turn across the front of my car totally oblivious of the fact i was there because he was wearing headphones listening to god only knows what, that incident ended up with me skidding across the road into the path of oncoming traffic, luckily no one was injured. It is my opinion that wearing of headphones to listen to music or whatever makes the wearer totally unaware of what is happening around them.

Just be polite to peds and ping the bell, I call out "To the right!" but not in a shouty way. Peds are cyclists' subjects and their bovine stupidity should be tolerated and excused.

steve50

Disenchanted Member

bloody grammar police!! that the best you could do!

Tin Pot

Guru
Regardless of being on a bike or not.

Anyone who deliberately cancels out one of their senses and wanders around like a tit in a trance deserves some sort of injury. It should encourage them to learn before a fatal incident occurs.

winjim

Smash the cistern
One dog walker on a shared path? Pffft, you wanna try cycling through a university campus at nine in the morning.

Incidentally, we have a lot of Chinese students and they seem to be forever wandering across people's path or into the road without looking. I mean this as a cultural rather than a racial observation - I wonder if priorities and liability are different in China?

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
What's wrong with the road? Ride there and you can get yelled at by drivers even if you're not wearing headphones.

Top Bottom