Pedestrians & earphones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
So you're saying deaf people shouldn't ride a bike?

Where did I ever mention anything about deaf people, I was making the point that it is very easy to lose concentration when listening to music via headphones.I imagine there will be deaf people out there who ride bikes and I would also imagine they would probably be more alert than your hearing cyclist due to their lack of hearing.
I'm still trying to figure out where your question came from??????

mustang1

Legendary Member
On the shared paths I always slow right down, tinkle my bell or give a verbal alert. If they don't seem to hear me I just wait til theres's enough space to pass with a wide berth, but sometimes you will still cause a startle no matter how slow and wide you pass.

This is a waste of time, slowing down mallarcky. The PEDESTRIAN should SPEED UP, even run if he has to. This will ensure the speed differential between cyclist and pedestrian remains safe.

People mistake ringing a bell or shouting "CYCLIST!" to mean "move over" and we need to educate society that it actually means "start running coz I'm comin' up real fast!"

Plax

Guru
Where did I ever mention anything about deaf people, I was making the point that it is very easy to lose concentration when listening to music via headphones.I imagine there will be deaf people out there who ride bikes and I would also imagine they would probably be more alert than your hearing cyclist due to their lack of hearing.
I'm still trying to figure out where your question came from??????

Not reading your post properly probably. I read it as you were saying people that couldn't hear their surroundings because they were wearing headphones are a menace. By that logic deaf people can't hear their surroundings so are therefore they must also be a menace. Clearly not what you intended though.

puffinbilly

Veteran
It's a shared path....just show consideration to the others using it, simple. I always acknowledge others when using shared paths and slow down for pedestrians and thank the dog walkers who take their dogs under control when I pass. I'm aware that people like to enjoy a stroll with music etc and if they haven't heard me as I approach and sound a warning - I assume they are wearing headphones or are hard of hearing and slow until they are aware of my presence.

Simple manners and courtesy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If I ring my bell or such, pedestrians tend to turn round and deviate from their path, turning what would have been a glancing blow into a full on collision. I find that if I hit something with a glancing blow at low speed it tends to make me wobble and fall off, whereas at high speed the momentum carries me through and I can recover. For this reason I try and ride as fast as I can and never announce my presence when using a shared path.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
If I ring my bell or such, pedestrians tend to turn round and deviate from their path, turning what would have been a glancing blow into a full on collision. I find that if I hit something with a glancing blow at low speed it tends to make me wobble and fall off, whereas at high speed the momentum carries me through and I can recover. For this reason I try and ride as fast as I can and never announce my presence when using a shared path.
I do hope that was said tongue in cheek, I would consider anyone who adopted that attitude as extremely selfish and inconsiderate .

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Here's how I approach priority...

hierachy of road users.jpg

GC

howard2107

Don't get me going on this one, and those who are fully engrossed in messing about with mobile phones really get my goat. I agree he did nothing wrong. It is a shared path, so this means all users should be alert and considerate to all other users, and remain so at all times, not just switch off into their own little oblivion.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If I ring my bell or such, pedestrians tend to turn round and deviate from their path, turning what would have been a glancing blow into a full on collision. ...

In that case, you're leaving your alert far too late.

The vast majority of our shared use paths are as wide as a single lane with a dividing line. On those an alert isn't usually necessary as folk tend to stick to their own side. If they are on the 'wrong' side or meandering, I tinkle my bell first from about 15 maybe 20 yards and begin to slow. Often a 2nd of 3rd tinkle is required, but by that point I'm only going about 6mph and still half expect them to suddenly point at something and whack me in the face in the process. I'm never in a rush to get anywhere though... if i was a strava-slave i might be inclined to be a bit more hasty and impatient.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Don't get me going on this one, and those who are fully engrossed in messing about with mobile phones really get my goat. I agree he did nothing wrong. It is a shared path, so this means all users should be alert and considerate to all other users, and remain so at all times, not just switch off into their own little oblivion.
People meandering with their eyes on their phone is more of an issue when I'm a ped in the town centre though... and don't get me started on people in art galleries, bloody idiots, always looking at the walls instead of where they're going :cursing:

Top Bottom