Pedestrians & earphones.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by simongt, 19 Oct 2015.

1. simongt

simongt Über Member

On my way to work this morning, I was travelling along a shared cycle path. Up ahead about sixty metres away, I observed a man walking his dog. I slowed down and rang my bell - an old style type, not a ping bell - several times in plenty of time for him to react safely. No response. So I yelled 'CYCLIST - !' quite loudly and the man nearly jumped out of his skin.:hyper: Why - ? 'Cos the dozy sod was wearing earphones; serves him right - !:laugh:

Arjimlad and Tin Pot like this.
  2. Dan B

Dan B Disengaged member

I bet that made you feel really proud of yourself

3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

What does shared cycle path mean to you?

4. Oh dear. Well done at increasing the dick population by 1.

5. LocalLad

LocalLad Senior Member

What would you guys suggest he should have done?

6. If I walked passed would I shout 'pedestrian'?? No. If they couldn't hear me then I would cycle passed slow enough that I was as safe as a pedestrian. . That might be barely above walking speed.

I would not then brag on a forum about how I scared someone out if their wits whikst wearing headphones.

7. Dan B

Dan B Disengaged member

"slow down " is usually (almost always , I'd say) a safe bet.

steveindenmark and Markymark like this.
  8. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

bloody pedestrians wearing headphones, no pedestrian helmets - don't pay no path tax nor have insurance nor do pedestrian profficency tests nor nuffink....

continued on page 785

classic33, mickle, raleighnut and 3 others like this.
  9. LocalLad

LocalLad Senior Member

He did:
    "I slowed down"

Not defending him, but he slowed down, rang bell, verbally told the guy he was there...interested to know what was missing!

10. Didn't slow down enough, clearly.

Then revelled in scaring someone who was on a path with a dog minding their own business. A shared path is a pedestrian's space where bikes are allowed. It is still by default their space and they are the more vulnerable.

11. Sara_H

Sara_H Guru

On the shared paths I always slow right down, tinkle my bell or give a verbal alert. If they don't seem to hear me I just wait til theres's enough space to pass with a wide berth, but sometimes you will still cause a startle no matter how slow and wide you pass.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2015
  12. Dan B

Dan B Disengaged member

If you walk past somebody do you "shout PEDESTRIAN quite loudly"? If not, why is it ok for cyclists?

shouldbeinbed likes this.
  13. flyingfish

flyingfish Senior Member

I always like to make sure dog walkers know I am there so they can get their dog under control

BEHMOTH66, LocalLad and Drago like this.
  14. Drago

Drago Guru

Why not just taser him and steal his wallet while you're at it?

BlackPanther, Tin Pot and flyingfish like this.
  15. flyingfish

flyingfish Senior Member

If you assault a dog walker fido will get you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice