Pedestrians & earphones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
On my way to work this morning, I was travelling along a shared cycle path. Up ahead about sixty metres away, I observed a man walking his dog. I slowed down and rang my bell - an old style type, not a ping bell - several times in plenty of time for him to react safely. No response. So I yelled 'CYCLIST - !' quite loudly and the man nearly jumped out of his skin.:hyper: Why - ? 'Cos the dozy sod was wearing earphones; serves him right - !:laugh:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I bet that made you feel really proud of yourself

LocalLad

He did:
"I slowed down"

Not defending him, but he slowed down, rang bell, verbally told the guy he was there...interested to know what was missing!

He did:
"I slowed down"

Not defending him, but he slowed down, rang bell, verbally told the guy he was there...interested to know what was missing!
Didn't slow down enough, clearly.

Then revelled in scaring someone who was on a path with a dog minding their own business. A shared path is a pedestrian's space where bikes are allowed. It is still by default their space and they are the more vulnerable.

Sara_H

Guru
On the shared paths I always slow right down, tinkle my bell or give a verbal alert. If they don't seem to hear me I just wait til theres's enough space to pass with a wide berth, but sometimes you will still cause a startle no matter how slow and wide you pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom