Pedestrians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
It's unpredictable when cyclists swerve into the way no matter how safely we're driving..........

Learn to deal with it! (Cycle properly?)

Sorry I don't know what point you are trying to make. I do deal with it and still it doesn't make children predictable. Try keeping up with the conversation, I think the general consensus has moved on

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
The only occasions where I have had children run out infront of me is when I have been on a cycle path on the promenade where I live.

Once when I was in Rhos-on-Sea, a child ran out from a car. I had to skid to avoid him. I told his mother that I had nearly gone into him and she apologised politely. I was doing about 27mph when I had to brake.

Secondly, I was in Rhyl. A child was running around the cycle path and decided to walk into my path. Once again I just missed him but this time the parents were a bit more unconcerned. They chose to shout abuse at me when I was explaining that he shouldnt be in the cycle path and they should be taking more care of him.

Children are the worst because parents neglect to take responsible care for them. I am lucky I had my whits about me and aavoided them both.

MT, be very careful. You'll be shouted down and be accused of not cycling properly with wild talk like that :tongue:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If a pedestrian suddenly changes direction, and there is a collision, the cyclist was too close and/or going too fast.

Pedestrians are unpredictable, so we need to be extra vigilant on shared use paths.

tongskie01

[QUOTE 1484721"]
Then you were riding too fast. Again, it's simple.

Yes, it would be right for you to stop. No-one would have run into you.

You've claimed that the impact speed was 18mph. You were riding too fast.

[/quote]

its seems that DC is unto some sort of psychological defence mechanism. trying to rationalise what his done is right but the facts that is presented confirms that it all doesnt add up.
for example, how would he know that people walking behind him will run into him? thats very unrealistic isnt it?

mangaman

Wow.

39 pages for such a simple concept.

There are no public areas that I could cycle in the UK without peds / dog walkers having equal rights.

On a bike, I would be expected to give way to the above (ie cycle very slowly near people and either not cycle or effectively push with 1 leg as Lee described when young kids / dogs are around).

My answer is - I ride on the road
thumbsup.png

It's really not complicated. I can't believe it's generated 39 pages of the obvious.

Clearly the law is different in the US where the car is king and no-one would consider walking or cycling somewhere a mile or so away as a sane option. (In my experience)

Hence the Jay walking laws/ hence the extra anti-cycling/ped thinking among US drivers and planners/ hence the anti non-cyclists by Digital Cowboy. They're a continuum of unpleasantness.

At least we have the rudiments of a sensible hierarchy of provision in the UK - with the most dangerous taking the most responsibility.

Of course in even more enlightened European countries this goes further, towards actual legal liability.

In the US it clearly doesn't - which is a shame.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Wow.

There are no public areas that I could cycle in the UK without peds / dog walkers having equal rights.

On a bike, I would be expected to give way to the above (ie cycle very slowly near people and either not cycle or effectively push with 1 leg as Lee described when young kids / dogs are around).

thumbsup.png

It's really not complicated. I can't believe it's generated 39 pages of the obvious.

Clearly the law is different in the US where the car is king and no-one would consider walking or cycling somewhere a mile or so away as a sane option. (In my experience)

Hence the Jay walking laws/ hence the extra anti-cycling/ped thinking among US drivers and planners/ hence the anti non-cyclists by Digital Cowboy. They're a continuum of unpleasantness.

At least we have the rudiments of a sensible hierarchy of provision in the UK - with the most dangerous taking the most responsibility.

Of course in even more enlightened European countries this goes further, towards actual legal liability.

This has to rate as the best post so far!
:thumbsup:

Tommi

Wow.

thumbsup.png

Weird, part of that sounds almost like "Can't you see I'm right and you're wrong, why do people even bother discussing this?"

mangaman

Weird, part of that sounds almost like "Can't you see I'm right and you're wrong, why do people even bother discussing this?"

Not that weird if you think about it.

The law is clear - pedestrians have right of way on UK cycle paths / pavements.

I think discussing a fact for 40 pages is a little OTT but there you go. I can't compain now I've waded in.

If there were legal room for manoeuvre, I could understand it, but there isn't.

In the UK this is a simple factual matter - obviously this thread has been railroaded by posters from countries with different laws - but here it is straightforward.

If you ride into a pedestrian who isn't malicious (ie one hiding behind a tree and jumping out trying to knock you off) you are to blame.

Tommi

Not that weird if you think about it.

The law is clear - pedestrians have right of way on UK cycle paths / pavements.

I think discussing a fact for 40 pages is a little OTT but there you go. I can't compain now I've waded in.

If there were legal room for manoeuvre, I could understand it, but there isn't.

In the UK this is a simple factual matter - obviously this thread has been railroaded by posters from countries with different laws - but here it is straightforward.
Lets see, points brought up so far:
  1. right of way does not mean you have priority
  2. priority does not absolve you of responsibility
  3. pedestrian needs to prove negligence in any case as there is no presumption of liability in UK
  4. pedestrian behaving irresponsibly
  5. pedestrian walking into cyclist
  6. probably others I forgot
I don't recall anyone questioning the right of way. That's not the point of contention.

If you ride into a pedestrian who isn't malicious (ie one hiding behind a tree and jumping out trying to knock you off) you are to blame.
So basically you're saying as soon as you're on a bicycle you become responsible for irresponsible behaviour of pedestrians? It doesn't matter how old you are or how fast you're riding and how erratically the pedestrian is behaving, it's always your fault?

Thomk

Guru
[QUOTE 1484735"]
No, he's saying that if you ride into someone then the collision is a result of your action. Because your act of riding into someone is your doing. If you were going too fast for you to be stop and avoid the collision, you were going too fast.
[/quote]

I find myself agreeing with almost everything you've said on this thread. I don't think I would allow my 2 children (both under 5) to play freely and unsupervised (or under supervised) on a joint cycle/ped path though. If there was a collision with a cyclist I would feel it was partly my fault since I am capable of anticipating that there are dangerous and irresponsible cyclists in this country who may be a danger to my children. It would almost certainly be the cyclists fault but given that the safety of my children is primarily mine (oh and their mothers a bit) I would feel responsible also. I would like to let them loose to play everywhere in parks but I feel as though I can't rely on other people acting responsibly. When and if we have more shared paths, have had them longer and cyclists are trained better (someone mentioned they seem safe in Finland because of these improvements) then I might reconsider.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Ok, I wasn't clear. I meant in both cases the cyclist behaviour would be totally responsible provided that the pedestrian behaved responsibly themselves. Why does a bicycle make you responsible for other people behaving irresponsibly? What other items have the same magic effect? Kickboard? Rollerblades? Wheelchair? Heavy backbag? Shopping bag?

In a conflict between lightweight grandmother riding responsibly and a normal (i.e. obese) adult pedestrian behaving erratically I still assert it's the pedestrian bringing the biggest risk to the situation. Bicycle by itself can not be the justification for the simple reason that not all bicycles are the same and not all pedestrians are the same.
Well, anyone who behaves irresponsibly ought to be held liable for the consequences of their irresponsible actions, irrespective of their mode of transport, but that statement changes nothing. The problem we are having here is around the definition of "irresponsible". For pedestrians, changing direction unpredictably, without signalling or checking mirrors (nor even doing a shoulder check) is not normally irresponsible because it really does not pose any danger to anyone in the absence of a bicycle or motor vehicle. Neither is emerging from behind an obstacle or round a corner, stopping suddenly, stepping suddenly to the side, etc. It is the bringing of those machines into the scenario that creates the risks and therefore carries the bulk of the responsibility. If you ride a bicycle among pedestrians, then your riding should take account of the fact that pedestrian movements can be unpredictable (or even "erratic"); that's all I'm saying.

Given that it is the definitions or "responsibly" and "irresponsibly" that are at issue here, it's no good putting forward scenarios in which you say "X behaving responsibly and y behaving irresponsibly" without specifying what the actual behaviour was. This is why the law is not black and white and we have courts, magistrates, judges and juries to make a judgement about what is or isn't reasonable. It is also one of the reasons why our legal system relies heavily on case law and precedents rather than hard and fast a-priori definitions.

MrHappyCyclist

I find myself agreeing with almost everything you've said on this thread. I don't think I would allow my 2 children (both under 5) to play freely and unsupervised (or under supervised) on a joint cycle/ped path though. If there was a collision with a cyclist I would feel it was partly my fault since I am capable of anticipating that there are dangerous and irresponsible cyclists in this country who may be a danger to my children. It would almost certainly be the cyclists fault but given that the safety of my children is primarily mine (oh and their mothers a bit) I would feel responsible also. I would like to let them loose to play everywhere in parks but I feel as though I can't rely on other people acting responsibly.
I find myself agreeing with almost everything you've said on this thread. I don't think I would knowingly leave the front door of my house unlocked when I go out, though. If the house was burgled I would feel it was partly my fault since I am capable of anticipating that there are thieves and vagabonds in this country who may steal my property. It would almost certainly be the burglar's fault but given that the security of my home is primarily mine (oh and my wife's a bit) I would feel responsible also. I would like to go out without always having to worry about checking all the doors and windows, but I feel as though I can't rely on other people acting honestly.

When and if we have more shared paths, have had them longer and cyclists are trained better (someone mentioned they seem safe in Finland because of these improvements) then I might reconsider.
As a foreigner in Finland (Malmo, I think it was), I didn't notice the paint on the pavement and strayed onto the cycle part when waiting for some other people to come out of the hotel. I had to leap to safety when a couple of cyclists came along the path at high speed. So I'm not sure it's really that safe.

Thomk

Guru
I find myself agreeing with almost everything you've said on this thread. I don't think I would knowingly leave the front door of my house unlocked when I go out, though. If the house was burgled I would feel it was partly my fault since I am capable of anticipating that there are thieves and vagabonds in this country who may steal my property. It would almost certainly be the burglar's fault but given that the security of my home is primarily mine (oh and my wife's a bit) I would feel responsible also. I would like to go out without always having to worry about checking all the doors and windows, but I feel as though I can't rely on other people acting honestly.

You try to make a point here but fail to see the point. It is a question of degree. If I left my door wide open I would feel as though it was partly my fault. If I allow my children to wander in the middle of the road unsupervised where motorists should give them priority I would feel as though it was partly my fault if they were injured.

Do you have young children and do you make choices on their behalf to ensure their safety? Do you feel responsible for their safety?

MrHappyCyclist

You try to make a point here but fail to see the point. It is a question of degree. If I left my door wide open I would feel as though it was partly my fault. If I allow my children to wander in the middle of the road unsupervised where motorists should give them priority I would feel as though it was partly my fault if they were injured.
I was agreeing with you and attempting to reinforce your point with an analogous text.

Do you have young children and do you make choices on their behalf to ensure their safety? Do you feel responsible for their safety?
Well, they're grown up now, but yes, of course I took responsibility for their safety when they were little. (In fact, I do still worry a bit about my 24 year old daughter's cycling because I think she cycles too near the edge of the road and doesn't claim the lane nearly enough, but all I can do is point to the relevant advice.)

Thomk

Guru
I was agreeing with you and attempting to reinforce your point with an analogous text.

Well, they're grown up now, but yes, of course I took responsibility for their safety when they were little. (In fact, I do still worry a bit about my 24 year old daughter's cycling because I think she cycles too near the edge of the road and doesn't claim the lane nearly enough, but all I can do is point to the relevant advice.)

Oh.....sorry :blush: . Excuse - It's raining outside (why do people say outside?) and I'm about to go out on a 12 mile ride and am not looking forward to it much - distracted!

Status
Not open for further replies.