Pedestrians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It was a joke don`t get so upset :hugs:

I'm not upset.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Not that weird if you think about it.

The law is clear - pedestrians have right of way on UK cycle paths / pavements.

I think discussing a fact for 40 pages is a little OTT but there you go. I can't compain now I've waded in.

If there were legal room for manoeuvre, I could understand it, but there isn't.

In the UK this is a simple factual matter - obviously this thread has been railroaded by posters from countries with different laws - but here it is straightforward.

If you ride into a pedestrian who isn't malicious (ie one hiding behind a tree and jumping out trying to knock you off) you are to blame.

Bus and cycle lanes. Take care when crossing these lanes as traffic may be moving faster than in the other lanes, or against the flow of traffic.

Routes shared with cyclists. Some cycle tracks run alongside footpaths or pavements, using a segregating feature to separate cyclists from people on foot. Segregated routes may also incorporate short lengths of tactile paving to help visually impaired people stay on the correct side. On the pedestrian side this will comprise a series of flat-topped bars running across the direction of travel (ladder pattern). On the cyclist side the same bars are orientated in the direction of travel (tramline pattern). Not all routes which are shared with cyclists are segregated. Take extra care where this is so

Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks youMUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.

Does not say much about a right of way although it does mention extreme care!

locker

[QUOTE 1484778"]
You're being offensive by referring to her weight, and you're using a racist term.

This isn't some forties Tom and Jerry cartoon.

If you didn't realise that you were using term which has underlying racist tones, then fair enough. I assume you'll now stop using it, and change the title of your youtube clip?

[/quote]

Ignore

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Lets see, points brought up so far:
  1. right of way does not mean you have priority
  2. priority does not absolve you of responsibility
  3. pedestrian needs to prove negligence in any case as there is no presumption of liability in UK
  4. pedestrian behaving irresponsibly
  5. pedestrian walking into cyclist
  6. probably others I forgot
I don't recall anyone questioning the right of way. That's not the point of contention.

So basically you're saying as soon as you're on a bicycle you become responsible for irresponsible behaviour of pedestrians? It doesn't matter how old you are or how fast you're riding and how erratically the pedestrian is behaving, it's always your fault?

It's called passing the monkey. Cyclists cannot be held accountable all the time and pedestrians have to share the monkey
rolleyes.gif

locker

Bus and cycle lanes. Take care when crossing these lanes as traffic may be moving faster than in the other lanes, or against the flow of traffic.

Routes shared with cyclists. Some cycle tracks run alongside footpaths or pavements, using a segregating feature to separate cyclists from people on foot. Segregated routes may also incorporate short lengths of tactile paving to help visually impaired people stay on the correct side. On the pedestrian side this will comprise a series of flat-topped bars running across the direction of travel (ladder pattern). On the cyclist side the same bars are orientated in the direction of travel (tramline pattern) Yes & dangerous, too easy for the wheels to slip on, should have been the other way round
Not all routes which are shared with cyclists are segregated. Take extra care where this is so

Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks youMUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.

Does not say much about a right of way although it does mention extreme care!

Where`s all the rest, law, morally, priority, right of way, all this looks like common sense & nothing to argue about, so how come there`s been so much Bu%^

well done by the way

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Where`s all the rest, law, morally, priority, right of way, all this looks like common sense & nothing to argue about, so how come there`s been so much Bu%^

well done by the way

Direct.gov.co.uk Highway code for pedestrians and cyclists. I'm afraid the code does not go into morality because the rules would become ambiguous and open to misrepresentation, misuse or misunderstanding
thumbsup.png

locker

So for those who remember our friend who ran down a pedestrian on a path, I thought I'd show him how it should be done.
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYiy0d8Z5S4[/media]

It all started off with this "our friend" happens to be me I believe as I allowed this vid to be posted as a response to my vid (for reasons of education)

[media]

]View: http://youtu.be/NGO3bt6YPKo[/media]

caution don`t watch it if you are of a small minded disposition

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
It all started off with this "our friend" happens to be me I believe as I allowed this vid to be posted as a response to my vid (for reasons of education)

[media]

Safe cycling my friend. The little ones often race bikes just as they race alongside road runners. At any point though any number of pedestrians could have turned into your path, especially those occupying the 'cycle' lane.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist

You believe correctly.
"for reasons of education" - what have you learnt?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

[media]

So you are back to claiming it is educational. Wasn't also used by the Police to advice peds how to walk safely (your claim). You haven't changed one bit. You are just a sad old man looking for attention. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.