People of Devon....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
No language course needed...am Devon born and bred :-)
@Hill Wimp on the other hand....
Well I can translate your grunts quite well now so I think I will cope. Oh wait don't I remember something about your mother sending you to elocution lesson before going to Exeter Cathedral School:whistle:

Proto

Legendary Member
Hi Proto

Am going 28/34 on the Rourke!
The Brompton 6 speed has a 50/34 chainset, but the fixed at around 73" might need rethinking!

My father was born in Whitchurch Canonicorum in Dorset and 'attended' Lyme School. Both Parents met and lived in Axminster, so my roots are East Devon/Dorset borders....
Ha, Whitchurch Canonicorum! About 5 miles from me.

The Bridport CC Tuesday club rides start there at the Five Bells pub. I ride over there every now and again to join them. Riding back is a shocker, the 1.5km climb out of Wooton Fitzpaine has a fair chunk at over 20%. Bastard climb.

I’m halfway between Lyme and Axminster, officially in Uplyme, deep in a valley, with a 80m climb in 1km just to get to the main road. :sad:

Where are you moving to?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Depends where you live. In London it's 60+ for a free (ish) bus pass. Terms and conditions apply.
I'm counting the days.
Oops... :whistle:

Actually... You've reminded me that someone from Merseyside told me that it is 60 there too, and the Mersey Travel pass not only gives free bus travel, but also free travel on local trains and the Mersey ferries!

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I shall be 7 miles from Brexeter where the Bishop had a Boniface....
I would be remiss to miss out on the congratulations on your forthcoming move. I assume this is to get the hassle of moving out of the way before the free bus pass era finally hits you.

I envy you in some ways, as we don't know whether to move back to the UK (I don't think I have quite done Germany yet) or move within Germany.

Mind you, you will have missed the chance to live in Sittingbourne ... :ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Took the bike when we stayed in Brixham a while back. Even for a battle-hardened Peak District cyclist, the terrain can only be described as "hard"
I managed to find some easier routes on the south side of the Exe. I did one that had only about 1,000 m of ascent in around 100 km. The longer rides that I did on the Dartmoor side were 1,500 - 1,750 m of ascent in 100 km but those finished with easy rides back along the Exe Estuary Trail. If I had come back over the hills then the total would have been more like 2,000 - 2,250 m.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We're getting otter now.
You only need the plot/house number!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Ha, Whitchurch Canonicorum! About 5 miles from me.

The Bridport CC Tuesday club rides start there at the Five Bells pub. I ride over there every now and again to join them. Riding back is a shocker, the 1.5km climb out of Wooton Fitzpaine has a fair chunk at over 20%. Bastard climb.

I’m halfway between Lyme and Axminster, officially in Uplyme, deep in a valley, with a 80m climb in 1km just to get to the main road. :sad:

Where are you moving to?
Ouch!
Location -apart from house number all the clues are in the thread!
Boniface
Curtains
Otter
Credit on

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Took the bike when we stayed in Brixham a while back. Even for a battle-hardened Peak District cyclist, the terrain can only be described as "hard"
I think Devon Hills are overlooked in favour of the Pennines, Lakes, Wales, Yorkshire and Scotland. But there are a lot of gnarly climbs and unrelenting terrain across most of the county. The TOB in Devon last year highlighted some corkers.
Certainly challenging as also are parts of Dorset, Cornwall and Zummerzet....

Top Bottom