People on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Lots of people on bikes this morning with only a smattering of cyclists. Saw some awful riding and repeatedly had to overtake those that had jumped the reds scattering commuters, filtered up the inside of vehicles indicating to turn left and even one girl wobbling down the inside of a truck with her ipod on singer her head off.

I utterly despair that these incidents will only increase and get worse. This is my first spring/summer commuting as I started when it was cold out and nary a person on a bike could be seen.

Please excuse the moan, I'm a bit tetchy today.

gouldina

Yeah. There's a lot of idiots out at the moment. It's funny how the people who rarely cycle seem to be the ones who commit all the offences too isn't it? I sort of imagine that a few months ago they were the ones moaning about "bloody cyclists".

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
snorri said:
Cyclists and people on bikes.:laugh:
Are some small motor vehicles controlled by drivers whilst others are controlled by people in cars?

I used the prase to disassociate myself from those that RLJ, filter poorly without consideration for other vehicles, ride on pavements and generally just make a nuisence of themselves.

Mike!

Guru
Well i'm on my second commute into work today and really enjoying it, so far in my three trips all car / van / lorry / bus drivers have been brilliant giving plenty of room during passing etc.

The two things that have happend are both cyclists, one pulling out on me at the last minute (i swear he saw me but he got a piece of my mind for his trouble). The worst one happened this morning, an experienced chap (i've seen him lots when i've been driving into work) went straight through a red light. Just unbelievable if you ask me! The car at the front of the queue looked at me (waiting) and shook his head, i nooded in response, then he shot off at a rate of knots so i suspect was going to have words :tongue:

No wonder us 'cyclists' get a bad name (not that i consider myself a 'cyclist' yet!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The nice weather unfortunately brings out the fair-weather cyclists.. and the majority of them sadly have no idea of road craft.

edit: then again - thinking about it... even a lot of all year round cyclist's road craft leave little to be desired.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Let's just hope this year's new wave of cyclists to be survive for long enough to learn road craft. We all start somewhere, after all, and none of us are done learning yet.

Seen some awful positioning out there on the morning commutes. Scares the hell out of me, and I *know* I was no better when I started.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
People on bikes are cyclist, just as those operating cars are drivers/motorist, there are good and bad in both groups.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HJ said:
People on bikes are cyclist, just as those operating cars are drivers/motorist, there are good and bad in both groups.

+1 Let's have none of this snooty POB stuff.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
My apologies if my use of POB has caused offence. I was venting my frustrations at the increase of poor cycling on my commute.

J-HO

Question from a POB.....

Done my first ever commute yesterday, all went well except one minor incident. I turned right into a one way street with two lanes.
I normally drive that way and always use the right hand lane, so I did with the bike too.
A guy in his car next to me in the left lane decided to enter the car park on our right and moved across without looking and nearly took me off.
I was slightly annoyed but I started thinking maybe I was in the wrong place on the road.

Opinions please and maybe I'll become a cyclist

gouldina

J-HO said:
Question from a POB.....

Done my first ever commute yesterday, all went well except one minor incident. I turned right into a one way street with two lanes.
I normally drive that way and always use the right hand lane, so I did with the bike too.
A guy in his car next to me in the left lane decided to enter the car park on our right and moved across without looking and nearly took me off.
I was slightly annoyed but I started thinking maybe I was in the wrong place on the road.

Opinions please and maybe I'll become a cyclist

Well obviously the driver didn't do the right thing there but why were you in the right lane? Were you going to turn right? If not, you would've been better off on the left I would've thought.

Top Bottom